Need help! One of my hens is breathing heavily and seams very exhausted, she isn’t eating or drinking.

I definitely could know a lot more about birds and have more experience, but that bird does not look well at all. Bird don't do that. She needs to be able to react if her legs work, just simply put behave like a chicken regardless. She looks like she has zero SA. Not good. She needs to respond - quickly, otherwise she will continue to suffer. Drop and sustain her body temp if you really believe that heat caused this. Just my opinion off the tidbit of info. GL!
Alright, I’m doing the best I can but I don’t have that much knowledge of chickens, like I said I brought her home because if I hadn’t then no one would take her. She’s laying down right now but her face is buried in the hay and she isn’t holding it up, is that normal? 😭 I’ll keep her temperature low and do as much as I can! But I know that her head shouldnt be down like that..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 7
Alright, I’m doing the best I can but I don’t have that much knowledge of chickens, like I said I brought her home because if I hadn’t then no one would take her. She’s laying down right now but her face is buried in the hay and she isn’t holding it up, is that normal? 😭 I’ll keep her temperature low and do as much as I can! But I know that her head shouldnt be down like that..
And she isn’t panting and doesn’t look like she’s still over heating, should I still soak her feet..?

Dunk her in water for a few minutes with her head above water. Her posture is crazy. Likely already too late. I will not blow smoke up anyone's duff. That birds nugget is cooking and throwing her under a fan will not cut it. That bird is fading fast. Most call it farming, not fun. We owe to the animals to call it like it is. We know the truth can be too much, but that happens when we humanize farm animals - not that you're doing this, but this bird is way way out there. Just saying. I digress.

Dunk her in water for a few minutes with her head above water. Her posture is crazy. Likely already too late. I will not blow smoke up anyone's duff. That birds nugget is cooking and throwing her under a fan will not cut it. That bird is fading fast. Most call it farming, not fun. We owe to the animals to call it like it is. We know the truth can be too much, but that happens when we humanize farm animals - not that you're doing this, but this bird is way way out there. Just saying. I digress.
Ahhh alright I’ll do all that I can for her. I’m trying my best, hopefully she’ll make it. I’m gonna be unresponsive for a little while when I soak her. I’ll try to keep her cool and hopefully she makes it. If you have any tips to help her with this let me know.

Sorry, I disagree, I would not dunk her, that's likely to send her into more shock. If she's still really hot, then put her feet in cool water as previously suggested.

Do what you can to get her hydrated. Don't worry about food.

It would be good if you can examine her to see if she has any injuries. With the cover coming off, she may have spooked and injured herself.
You make no mention of any of the other chickens having troubles with heat exhaustion.

I’ll do what I can. Thanks for your help, it’s unfortunate that I don’t know enough to help her but hopefully she’ll pull through. I’m not the owner of her, I’m only taking care of her through out the night because no one else could I couldn’t leave her to die. I’ll do my best to keep her alive but please understand that’s why I didn’t know what to do. Wish me luck though and thank you for your help!

Sorry, I disagree, I would not dunk her, that's likely to send her into more shock. If she's still really hot, then put her feet in cool water as previously suggested.

Do what you can to get her hydrated. Don't worry about food.

It would be good if you can examine her to see if she has any injuries. With the cover coming off, she may have spooked and injured herself.
You make no mention of any of the other chickens having troubles with heat exhaustion.
Ah okay I’ll soak her feet, the other chickens were fine other than panting but that went away after the shade was put back up. She doesn’t seem hurt, just tired. It might be worth a mention but when I found her she was completely on her side and felt like a dead weight, no reaction or movement besides heavy breathing so she’s doing better than she was.

Do worry about buying all that jazz people are saying. She needs to drink H2O when SHE can. Birds are crazy resilient. This bird looks youngish. She just looks brain dead, but I don't see her movements. Yes soak her. Isolate her. Monitor her. Keep her out of the sun. If she can make it she will. They can recover quickly, but you need to get her back to her baseline. Don't be surprised if it takes a few days to get back if she finds the will. Just keep water in front of her. Cool, water and food. She'll take care of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom