Need help! One of my hens is breathing heavily and seams very exhausted, she isn’t eating or drinking.

Pics

KerryStavracos11

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Today the shade on the chickens run came off, they were left without shade for awhile but we’ll hydrated and fed. I put the shade back up as soon as I noticed but once I was finished one of my hens collapsed. She is breathing very heavily and seams exhausted. She won’t eat or drink so I’ve been syringe feeding her so water downed feed and water. (This was all today but I’m worried she won’t make it past the night) please help, I’m not sure if it’s heat exhaustion or something else!

Will do, I’ll check in later.
@KerryStavracos11, you are to be commended for taking this chicken home and doing your best to revive her. :hugsYou demonstrate the true spirit of BYC! @Wyorp Rock is one of our most trusted and respected members. You can trust her advice. Good luck with your little hen! We wish you all the best with her!

Oh alright well I think it’d be better to sign off for now and handle this on my own, thanks for the help and tips though.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive and @LaFleche have given loads of people on these forums a wealth of knowledge, and I've never seen anyone recommend dunking a chicken completely in water. In fact, I've always seen to simply put the chickens feet in cool water, not cold.

She was not feeling well, obviously, but she wasnt 'brain dead' as bob suggessted, she probably had heat exhaustion, meaning shes exhausted and possibly other issues. You did wonderful by her. Thank you for caring enough to take her home. You've got a wonderful heart. I'm so sorry she passed, you did all you could. Bless you!!!!

She passed. I think she had a seizure then vomit came out of her mouth and she’s gone. 😭
:hugs Kerry, I'm very sorry for your loss.
You are so sweet bringing her home and caring for her like she was your own. You did the best you could, I know it must have been hard to lose her.
Thank you for hanging in there and keeping us posted.

Treat her for heat exhaustion. Put her in a room with plenty of water, with apple cider viangar in her water, a cooling pad, and put cold compresses under her wings. You can try misting her with water too. I am not experienced with heat stress, but have heard of this treatment for other peoples birds, good luck! Keep me posted! Avery :hugs

Treat her for heat exhaustion. Put her in a room with plenty of water, with apple cider viangar in her water, a cooling pad, and put cold compresses under her wings. You can try misting her with water too. I am not experienced with heat stress, but have heard of this treatment for other peoples birds, good luck! Keep me posted! Avery :hugs
Ah thank you! I’ll keep you updated and start the treatment for heat exhaustion.

Back
Top Bottom