Need help Transporting a horse.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nitrostreak, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I hope this is the right thread for this...

I'm taking in a 3 year old filly, but she's a long way away from me.

I've already got a volunteer to bring her as far north as Rentz, Georgia, and I'm in Cornelia, Georgia.

If you've got a truck and trailer and can volunteer it will be greatly appreciated!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you can not find anyone, maybe you can find someone at the boarding stable to haul a horse for you? Or hire a shipping company.

they are very good and I never had any problems with either one of them!

3. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I'll have to look around to see if I can find a stable in my area. I don't know of any shipping companies, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be cheap :x

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No, transporting a horse is not cheap. As high as fuel prices are, you'll have a difficult time finding someone to donate their time and fuel to get your filly to you. However, you may find someone who needs to transport a horse in your direction and may split the cost with you. Is the filly a rescue? Or did someone give you to her? If she was purchased the seller may help you find someone.

5. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    She's a rescue. The owners can't afford to feed her anymore.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well can you "rent" a truck and trailer? That would be the most cheapest route without hiring anyone.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Try Horse Rescue Railroad they might be able to organize a ride for your filly-to-be. Good luck!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This is what we did when we had a horse or two. We didn't own a trailer and rarely needed one so when the rare occasion arose in which we needed to move a horse we rented a trailer from our local US Rental's place. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by