Need help! We have a chicken that is struggling to walk and staggering backwards.

Kpowers5792

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2023
We came out to the chicken coop this morning and they all seemed fine, but this afternoon we put some garden scraps in the pin and discovered one of our white chickens in pain and when it stops walking it staggers backwards. I was hoping it was just bumble foot or something but it's feet look fine. Any help is appreciated! I am going to post a video, please watch it and tell me what you think. I feel so bad for it. Thanks

I don’t see the video yet. Those are best uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here. How old is the chicken, does it lay eggs, and could it have suffered an injury by mating or jumping? Is she doing any better now? Can you get her drinking some water either with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup or some electrolyte water? Has she been eating? How does her crop feel?

The video link is there now. I did have to post it on YouTube and paste the link. Thanks

I don’t see the video yet. Those are best uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here. How old is the chicken, does it lay eggs, and could it have suffered an injury by mating or jumping? Is she doing any better now? Can you get her drinking some water either with a tsp of sugar per 8 ounce cup or some electrolyte water? Has she been eating? How does her crop feel?
It's there now. I posted a you
Tube link.

The way she was standing still reminds me of what my white chicken Pearl did for a bit she was old though and had numerous issues and passed away.

Is there any visible lumps or bumps do her eyes look normal? Have you felt her legs all the way up to her body when she moves? do you hear any popping sounds from her legs or anything? And we're the kitchen scraps old? Could she have eaten something toxic? Have you checked over her neck and back? Is her breathing normal?

I'm not very well versed with this kind of stuff I hope she'll get better it's not fun seeing them in discomfort, I hope she's not in serious pain.

@Kpowers5792 ☝️ It would be good if you could answer some of the questions asked previously.

Without more info and with viewing the video, I would examine the bird again to make sure there's no bruising/injury.
Check the vent to make sure it's clear and not clogged up. Work on hydration and see that she's eating chick starter or an 18-20% protein all flock feed.

Get a good look at the poop, make sure the crop is emptying overnight. Giving poultry vitamins that support neurological and leg symptoms may also be helpful. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg for the uptake of E.

I would try the vitamin E and B complex that Wyorp Rock recommended. It is possible that she is suffering from wry neck and imbalance, but Mareks disease could also be possible. Other possible things that cause neurological symptoms are head injuries, vitamin E deficiency, toxins, and heavy metal poisoning.

It is just under ten weeks old, none of them are laying eggs yet and I'm guessing it is a rooster anyway, it seems to be eating and drinking fine, I mixed up some electrolytes, vitamins, b complex and probiotics in water for it after we noticed the issue, I felt around on it legs and feet and didn't find anything. We feed them chicken feed and fresh vegetables out of the garden. I haven't inspected its vent yet. I am at work right now but I will inspect it's vent and droppings when I'm able. I have it seperated right now so the other chickens don't try to pick on it, except for a hen I put in with it so it doesn't have to be alone. Also, does everyone see the video link now?

Back
Top Bottom