Need Help with administering Sulfa to chicks

Pinkychick

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Hi, I had a chick die about 3 weeks ago. I am learning now that it had cocci from the red bloody stool. I am hearing that you need to treat the whole flock. I have 3 adult chickens and one of the chickens is momma to 10 babies. The babies are 1 week old and I am not sure how to give the babies the sulfa and not the momma. As they drink the same water. The babies are brand new I just got them 4 days ago along with the momma. Do I need to treat them? They are in a coop that my adult hens were in not the other coop where the other chickens are that got sick but the adult chickens have been in the coop where the sick chicken was. Is it that contagious where I need to treat the new babies too? Or is medicated starter enough for the new babies? Thanks in advance for the help!

So sorry you lost one of your chicks.

I would treat them all, and with Sulmet or Corid (Sulfa seems to take longer perhaps?). I think any of the chicks or chickens who have had contact at any time with the infected ones or their coop/run should be treated. By the time bloody stool shows up, the bacteria has been in their systems for a while; cocci kills chicks very quickly. It's only for a couple of days, then after that you can give them yogurt and electrolytes along with their starter to compensate. Over in no time!
smile.png

I have a hen that might have cocci. How do you find Corid? Is it necessary to have a prescription from a vet? We don't have a farm supply store here. I can get to an Agway. Do you know fi they sell cocci medicine? Any advice is very appreciated.

No prescription, but you can order both Sulmet and Corid on Amazon. Might offer expedited shipping.
smile.png

Is there a vet supply around you? It doesn't look like Agway carries anything for it. I've read that mixing powdered milk in their food will help control cocci. Do a search for "cocci powdered milk" in the forums and see what you think. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Last edited:
Atomic Ranch, thanks for your help. I will try to find online and order. We might lose that hen, but if we can save the remaining three in the little flock that would be nice. We don't know for sure what the problem is, but I'd like to try the Corid just in case. We will do deworming with Ivomec tomorrow. The medicine has expired years ago, but I'm hoping that it will do something.

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. I already have the sulfa and already gave them a dose. It says for 6 days. They don't really have any symptoms just treating them. So how do u think I can give it to the chicks that are always with the momma hen. Not supposed to give it to the momma hen? She is not laying any eggs she is a brooder right now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote:
It should, just maybe a little less potent. I just read your other thread-- did your friend see any bloody stool? If not, it may be a number of other things. She gave her a vitamin shot? Just wondering about her other symptoms, specifically, because there are other folks who would be more knowledgeable if you could describe them. Might be something simple.

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. I already have the sulfa and already gave them a dose. It says for 6 days. They don't really have any symptoms just treating them. So how do u think I can give it to the chicks that are always with the momma hen. Not supposed to give it to the momma hen? She is not laying any eggs she is a brooder right now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You're welcome, trying to help ya. But I'm not sure why you're not supposed to also treat the momma hen?

Quote:

You're welcome, trying to help ya. But I'm not sure why you're not supposed to also treat the momma hen?

Because it says on the package not for chickens older than 16 weeks. I wonder if thats because they lay eggs? She is not laying. So it would be ok to treat her also?

Quote:

Because it says on the package not for chickens older than 16 weeks. I wonder if thats because they lay eggs? She is not laying. So it would be ok to treat her also?

Gosh, I'm really not sure. I defer to someone else's better judgment.

Back
Top Bottom