Need help with chick found outside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken legs, May 23, 2008.

1. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    found a chick flobbin cross the road...very young! 2-3 days old...tried sugar water...now what?
    here are pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put a fork in me
    I'm done

*edited title for clarity*

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2008
  2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    first and for most it needs to be in a box with a heat lite on it. put some marbles in a water dish so that it does not drown.
    was it attacked by another animal or predator?

3. chicken legs

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    it's in makeshift brooder...not drinking much...Bodynsoul in chat said not to worry about food until it's drinking better...not sure it will make it thru the night. It has 2 wounds (Look to be surface) on back....seems to have narrowly escaped a predator. Water is in there but it does not go and drink from it.

ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated?

4. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Heat lamp! What's the temp in the brooder?? Can you get the wounds clean? Gently? It needs to be warm & quiet!

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

try and help it drink.. it might bee to weak.

6. chicken legs

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    The makeshift brooder is about 100F. Have done my best for the night with help from everybody...thanks to all of you

oh...

and a special thanks to my veterinary hospital whose answering service suggested that I call the emergency hospital who then promptly informed me that they "don't do" wildlife but gladly gave me their web address [​IMG] WUH?

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  7. shmooborp

u know what.. that might not be a cicken chick. might be a pheasent chick... or something else... hmmmmmm doesnt look like a chicken chick... good luck.. if it is a pheasent chick it would be much older than 3 days. just by size judgement.. try looking pheasent chicks up on google or something... or that sight that i posted eartlyer.... might have game bird info.. good luck! ohh.. and it might need spesial feed ... idk.

8. shmooborp

or a quail.. or chucker... etc...... sry for all the posts [​IMG]

9. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    Poor thing. I am praying for the little one. I sure hopes it makes it.

10. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I don't see any sign of a comb. I'm not experienced in all the different breeds of chickens and their development but I think you have something besides a chicken.

100 in the brooder might be too warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by