NEED HELP WITH CORYZA!!!

calliescluckers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Hello,
I posted not too long ago about getting chicks for the first time. We got 50 broilers, 11 brown sex links, and 4 turkeys. We also got a couple bantam cochins, a buff orp and a silkie.
My neighbours house burned down... and after it burned we found out that she had chickens in quarantine over there. well, the neighbour dog was dragging them all over the place, and her surviving chickens that did not have the disease got it. Now, SOMEHOW, my chickens have the disease. I found my buff orp looking like her eye had been pecked out, and a broiler who's eye was swollen shut.

I immediately separated them and took out the birds i would like to keep most (the bantams and a couple sex links). i have started all the rest on antibiotics, except "my favourites" as I'm waiting to see if they get sick.

This is just horrible... especially at our first go at chickens. I am so ticked off.

we will probably have to cull every one of them.

Any suggestions?

You should try to get a bird tested by the state vet (or a necropsy done) just to ID what illness or illnesses that they have. They can have one thing and then get a secondary infection, and it is not uncommon for a chicken to have infectious bronchitis plus MG or coryza. Coccidiosis, a disease of young chickens from the soil can also complicate matters and lower a chicken's defense against disease. Most farmers will cull all chickens with coryza because it is never cured fully, and all chickens become carriers. Backyard flock people will sometimes choose to medicate with Tylan or sulfadimethoxine, and maintain a closed flock. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Here is a link for your state vet contact info and a list of common respiratory disease symptoms:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

thanks, the neighbour got a dead chicken tested with the same symptoms and it was coryza. is there anything else that can cause a swollen shut eye? none of them have discharge... only the two swollen eyes

Back
Top Bottom