Need Help With Duck Vent (Mildly Grafic)

DuckWhisperer06

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 17, 2019
South of DFW
I’m not quite sure what’s going on, but our Pekin Duck (roughly 30 weeks) has a somewhat ‘swollen’ looking vent. I’m starting to think it’s prolapsed vent(I think that’s what it’s called).
1C8AC37E-C462-48CF-8DDB-B261C8474EBB.jpeg

3FC27CB2-2A72-4787-B25B-AFA95BB2ACB8.jpeg

She’s still been able to push out an egg about once a week but she just recently started laying so I thought it was normal since her vent looked ‘stretched’. But after I really got a good look at it I realized it wasn’t just stretched.

I touched it a little bit and she flinched so it’s obviously uncomfortable for her. It felt swollen but hard, it wasn’t very soft or ‘squishy’.

She is a sweetheart and I would hate to have her be in pain from this so is there anything I can do/give her that would help. Can anyone tell me what seems to be going on?

I feel terrible for not noticing sooner, I think it’s been like that for about a week or so.

Thank y’all so much in advance. :hugs

I don't know about ducks but I know prolapses, it does look like a not very bad one, in terms of how much is exposed, but it has been exposed for a while...Can you give her a bath, so we can see what is poop and what is necrotic tissue?

I don't know about ducks but I know prolapses, it does look like a not very bad one, in terms of how much is exposed, but it has been exposed for a while...Can you give her a bath, so we can see what is poop and what is necrotic tissue?

Thank you, I will try to give her a bath later. What exactly causes a prolapsed vent? I’m not even sure what a prolapsed vent is I’ve just read a couple of threads about chickens having it but none about a duck having one. :barnie

I mean just a vent bath with warm water.

Prolapses are caused by the hen being too thin, or too fat, or being unlucky enough to have a double yolker coming out of the assembly line (my hen's first prolapse + she was kind of thin). Continuing - lack of enough calcium, or vit A, or selenium in the system, constipation, too much protein (could result in eggs that are too big)...... One has to thread a thin line indeed.

Back
Top Bottom