Need Help with Fly Strike-WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES-NECropsy added

Sorry to say that Henrietta crossed over Rainbow Bridge. Must have been peaceful because her head was tucked in her wing. I drew some fluid from her abdomen, and I can feel something round at one side of her belly that's not on the other. I really appreciate all your kind and helpful words on this thread.
So sorry, Karen, I know how hard it is to lose them. {{{{hugs}}} I hope you don't think I'm being insensitive, but you might want to consider doing a necropsy on her. For me it helps to open them up and see that they were terminal and that nothing could have been done. -Kathy

Sorry to say that Henrietta crossed over Rainbow Bridge. Must have been peaceful because her head was tucked in her wing. I drew some fluid from her abdomen, and I can feel something round at one side of her belly that's not on the other.

I really appreciate all your kind and helpful words on this thread.
I'm so sorry. I know how this feels.

So sorry, Karen, I know how hard it is to lose them. {{{{hugs}}} I hope you don't think I'm being insensitive, but you might want to consider doing a necropsy on her. For me it helps to open them up and see that they were terminal and that nothing could have been done.

-Kathy
Me, too, Kathy.

There are varying opinions upon the subject of taste receptors. Years ago it was believed chickens had no sense of taste despite what scientists found as taste buds at the base of a chicken's tongue. This is why palatable feed is as important as healthy balanced feed. If birds don't like the taste of something, or is unattractive, they won't eat it. Perhaps it has more to do with scent rather than taste since chickens have an acute sense of smell. I've noticed birds reject water containing more bitter tasting vitamin supplements. I've used Pick-No-More, Vet's Best, and Bitter Apple, and the latter two repelled picking in those situations more than the spiciness of Pick-No-More. Over the years, I've found probiotic powders to offset the bitterness of many vitamin supplements.
Here's a few interesting links:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ChickenSense/ChickenSense.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/the_scientific_chicken/

http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/do-chickens-have-taste-buds/

I agree; they have a better sense of taste than previously thought. That said, in my personal direct experience, bitterants alone were not enough to deter picking at an open would (or pin feathers) in birds that are prone to it; I guess that the deterrent was just not enough to override their want for protein-rich snacks (at the expense of the other bird). Thus my caution, in case others come here to read.

I got brave. I've never experienced EYP. It actually pushed up her liver and intestines far up and took me a while to find them. I assume that thing with the green yolk in it is the ovary?

The intestines were rock hard and the liver was dark red and kinda small. What are those small round nodules in there?

I had to pull the intestines and liver down to see it.

I am so very sorry to yet again to hear of sad news for you....it is a consolation for Henrietta that she passed with her head tucked underneath her wing, she was likely to be tired and passed in her sleep...my heart feels heavy for you and I would so love to give you some words of comfort..it is so hard for us that are left behind to accept the demise of our beloved ones...my tears are for you in your sadness BUT you are one incredibly loving and caring person and you have done all that is humanly possible to help her in her hour of need...

Sending you love and hugs...
hugs.gif

Wow. She was internally laying in a big way-the first picture is classic nasty cheesy masses of infection and yolk all cooked together. They call it either salpingitis or egg coelomitis, not sure if the terms are interchangeable but as far as I can tell, they are. It's caused by ecoli, generally.

The little nodules I think you are talking about, may indicate reproductive cancer, but don't quote me on that. I had one older hen who was not an internal layer but her entire intestinal tract and oviduct were spotted with them and I was told it was cancer.

That large mass, what the heck? Sometimes, in internal laying you'll see bizarrely formed eggs in weird shapes. One of my hens had a huge egg within and egg that was becoming soft because it had dropped into her abdomen and it was in that exact location of that mass in your hen.

No idea why her intestines were hard, though.

This was educational for you. Just thank your Henrietta for her contribution to your life and your education and hope you never have to see this again. It sucks is all I can say.

Look at the photos down the page here and you'll see what you saw in your hen:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/178/escherichia-coli-infections

One photo shows a heavily inflamed ovary that looks a little like the big mass.

Last edited:
Really nice site, I bookmarked it. Lots of pictures.

That lump I was feeling was that thing with the dark green "yolk" in it. That's supposedly the ovary judging by position of it.
No sign of Marek's tumors. Everything looked pretty clean.

Ever so sorry for the loss of Henrietta. Made me smile that she liked red wine :) I have a guinea that likes white !

Although more skittish than the flock of hens she lives with, she will always don her brave feathers if there's a glass in my hand :)
They certainly worm their way into your heart with their quirks don't they...

Love and hugs xx

Back
Top Bottom