Need Help with Fly Strike-WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES-NECropsy added

I got brave. I've never experienced EYP. It actually pushed up her liver and intestines far up and took me a while to find them. I assume that thing with the green yolk in it is the ovary?

The intestines were rock hard and the liver was dark red and kinda small. What are those small round nodules in there?

I had to pull the intestines and liver down to see it.

Very sorry, Sem. I've had internal laying problems with a few in the past. If it were the intestines or oviduct, it could be cancerous tumors. That is what caused internal laying in a Buff Rock according the a necropsy done at UC Davis. I've wondered how many instances of unclean vaccination procedure take place which often causes egg drop syndrome (soft shelled, undeveloped eggs). Perhaps there is a link between that and EYP.

Last edited:
This is the last thing I expected. Unreal. One of my roosters just flipped over and died! I can't believe it! There was no reason for it in fact he died with $per/\/\ in his vent! My Muffinman, a Crele rooster.

I have Fern my BR named after Fern of speckledhen's, is turning jaundice and ready to die. I have a year old Polish who is acting like she has coccidiosis, all puffed up and standing alone with neck tucked down.

It does not seem that any of these chickens are dying from related things. I think I'll send Fern because I don't know what she has, and probably can't find it myself.

Anyone have any theories on this?

Last edited:
This is the last thing I expected. Unreal. One of my roosters just flipped over and died! I can't believe it! There was no reason for it in fact he died with $per/\/\ in his vent! My Muffinman, a Crele rooster.

I have Fern my BR named after Fern of speckledhen's, is turning jaundice and ready to die. I have a year old silkie who is acting like she has coccidiosis, all puffed up and standing alone with neck tucked down.

It does not seem that any of these chickens are dying from related things. I think I'll send Fern because I don't know what she has, and probably can't find it myself.

Anyone have any theories on this?

Dear Lord, Karen, you're having the 2014 that Cetawin and I are experiencing-lots of stuff happening at once, everything seemingly related, but nothing related, a ton of coincidence, scary stuff and enough to drive you batty! I'm so sorry, I wish I had something to offer!
My only theory is that 2014 is the year of CRAZY.

Roosters die suddenly quite often from heart related stuff, high stress life and all that, no idea about the jaundice or the cocci symptoms if no one else is showing them. Poor Fern. I miss my goofy girl. She was the first of the 8 I've lost this year so far. I say "so far" because I know it isn't over yet. Can we skip to 2015 already??

Cetawin AND You???? I didn't know. It's just really crazy

I think I've lost about 7 as well this year. Seems none are related . Maybe this summer pushed their immune system to the limit. Time for vitamins and electrolytes.

Cetawin AND You???? I didn't know. It's just really crazy

I think I've lost about 7 as well this year. Seems none are related . Maybe this summer pushed their immune system to the limit. Time for vitamins and electrolytes.
She had two bantam hens, one she got from me over two years ago, suddenly look peaked and lethargic. She found mites on both, but not their rooster, cleaned out the entire coop area, brought the worst one in the house whose head was twisting around backwards, like she couldn't hold it up. It was like stargazer syndrome, but the hen is older. The other one died in the coop and she took her for a necropsy. Seemed very sinister and happened exactly when my last one was dying.

Turned out her bantam hen died of internal laying, of all things, and was probably down, got mites, which she passed to her coop mate, who became anemic and probably vitamin depleted due to the mites. That one is actually recovering now after vitamin therapy and living in the house for awhile and will probably be okay. This had us both NUTS! And then, I found out my hen also died of a massive ovarian infection as well, just a coincidence. We have been going insane, both of us.
barnie.gif
We lost my FIL and Uncle-in-law, Cetawin's father and now, her mother had a heart attack and just underwent triple bypass today. This has been a bad, bad year. We are quite depleted ourselves.

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses Karen. The last month has been pretty tough from all of your losses. I'm not sure that would cope as well as you.

Michael, I'm not sure what you mean about unclean vaccinations and EYP. This one was a now 7 year old hatchery chick not vaccinated for anything. Her sister is still with me.

The rooster thing is kindof odd. When I picked him up, he was limp and his tail feathers were broken off. The feathers were found inside the pen where he died. Nothing outside the pen. There was 1 "doggie door" that was open to a yard for them. There was no blood. His poo was normal. Maybe he broke them in the throes of death?

Quote: None of mine were vaccinated for anything and most all my hatchery hens and a couple of daughters of hatchery hens died from EYP and/or internal laying. Apparently, we don't have Egg Drop Syndrome here in the U.S.-that is a specific disease, not just soft and shell-less eggs.

Article on Egg Drop Syndrome: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/52/egg-drop-syndrome-76
Quote: from the Merck Veterinary Manual, http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...overview_of_egg_drop_syndrome_in_poultry.html
Quote:

Karen, your rooster's death throes probably just broke off some feathers as he seized.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom