Need Help with Fly Strike-WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES-NECropsy added

Oh no Karen!! Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your rooster. It does sound very sudden; I'd agree that his tail feathers were probably from his throes; when they go quick like that, after the brain shuts down, it can be disturbingly violent for a few seconds. Poor fellow. I'm glad he had a nice home with you.

This has really been the year of crazy. While I only lost one bird (ovarian cancer), we lost the beloved family dog of manymany years, three family members in the hospital (two were very serious and it was a rollercoaster), a really poor local growing season (which is a personal blow, as I usually depend on it for food!), the loss of a friend, etc etc. Then this stamp thing which is good but really, really crazy for other reasons and scares my financial pants off. I hear you both. I hope our lives all calm down, and soon..!!

Slightly related: I have photos of the x-rays on my ovarian cancer hen before we lost her, would they be of interest for anyone?

Sounds like he broke them off in his throes.

Jen I would be interested in the xray being posted, and surely others too! I'm sorry about all the sad things in your life too this year. I feel like your stamp came at a good time to give you time to focus on something nice.

Egg, thanks. Each chicken gets a funeral and a prayer. There are some that I miss terribly, and I have to focus on that they had a very nice life until the end. I don't think any of us can afford the mental pummeling and not handle it. I try focusing on spoiling the ones that are with me, I can't imagine not having my chickens or my horse.

What a time to flip over dead! I found him with his feet in the air. I thought he was faking. There were all these chickens around him freaking out. I saw him flipping around from a distance . He was a nice roo. Not afraid to be picked up.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds... The roo is extra handsome.
My roo is a sweetie like your guy was, you can pick him up and pet him, not once has he ever been aggressive. I'd be heartbroken if I lost him....
:hugs

Seminolewind, I'm so sorry for your losses. I lost one a little over a month ago - one of my Australorps. I was too shaken, shocked or whatever to do a necropsy as it was my first loss, but did have the presence of mind to check her externally just before she died. She died in my arms. There were no signs of mites, etc., her vent appeared normal although she did poop some frothy very pale yellow stuff just as I picked her up. I had chalked up her somewhat withdrawn behavior (ONE DAY) to the miserable heat we've had even though the BA's are supposed to be heat tolerant and had added a little more electrolytes to their water and offered greek yogurt, her favorite. Of note - at least to me - was that the last couple of eggs she laid had enormous yolks, almost no white and very thick. Kind of like the egg was really old, except I knew when she was laying and what eggs were hers. I only have - had - 7 girls so it's easy for me to keep up with who lays what. Again, I'm sorry for your losses.

Thankyou, mrsc1951. Sorry about your Australorp! The heat was bad this year. One of my Polish died. Her mom was a silkie who died 2 months ago of enteritis with Coccidia, and this one looks like she did as well. I will be moving the rest out of that pen and treating them all.

Oh, Muffinman was so very pretty! Wow! Do you have any more photos of him? (you can private message me if you don't want to flood your thread)...

I'm so sorry for your losses, still. I only lost one this year and I am still grieving. I can't imagine how you must feel.

Back
Top Bottom