Need help with my drake

19trax95

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
So I need some opinions.

I have 3 Pekin ducks, 2 females and a male. They were doing good until recently when the male had something happen to his leg.

He was sort of limping around and then his leg swelled up pretty bad and now he can't hardly walk at all. He will sit in the same spot all day. I had to bring food and water to him so he would eat and drink. The only way he sort of moves around is he hobbles with his wings and other leg.

I don't know what is wrong with him but he looks like he is suffering. I don't want to have to put him down but he isn't getting better and suffering is worse.

Any ideas?

How long has this been going on? Could be the result of a sting or bite, or a cut on his foot that became infected. Check his foot for wounds. I'd give him some antibiotics- terramycin, agrimycin or baytril are all safe for ducks.

It started about a week ago, but has gotten worse as the week went on.

@19trax95 have you examined the foot and leg of your drake? A good vet maybe able to help him.. I'd keep him in a small area to limit his walking, rest is usually the best thing for a leg injury if it's a sprain. Also soaking in a nice warm tub of warm water can help too. You can also try Epsom salt compresses where you mix Epsom salt and warm water then use a soft cloth to dip into the solution and wring out enough water isn't pouring off of the cloth wrap the leg for at least 5 mins longer if he'll let you. Injuries can take quite a while to heal if that is what it is. But a good examination needs to be done.
Also if it's swollen and Red there maybe an infection. Especially if there is a wound.

I have looked at it once but it seemed to hurt him so I didn't look too long at it. But there weren't any visible cuts that I saw. I will check again though to make sure. I called my local vet and left a message and they never returned my call. I will try again though.

He pretty much will not move on his own so I have been moving him in his pen so he isn't laying in his own feces. I do let him go in the pond and float around and he seems happier and more comfortable in there since he can let his leg hang, but not have weight on it.

I have their pond heated so it doesn't freeze, but it's not necessarily what I'd call warm. It's about 40 degrees or so.

I have looked at it once but it seemed to hurt him so I didn't look too long at it. But there weren't any visible cuts that I saw. I will check again though to make sure. I called my local vet and left a message and they never returned my call. I will try again though.

He pretty much will not move on his own so I have been moving him in his pen so he isn't laying in his own feces. I do let him go in the pond and float around and he seems happier and more comfortable in there since he can let his leg hang, but not have weight on it.

I have their pond heated so it doesn't freeze, but it's not necessarily what I'd call warm. It's about 40 degrees or so.
Being in the water probably will help him just because it take pressure off. Just don't let him try and get out on his own right now. Do you have any idea what he could have done? Jumping off side of pool etc? My Muscovy drake decided to jump off side of the pool instead of using the ramp and laid around for about 2 weeks before it got better.

I hope you hear from your vet.

Well I let them pretty much free range all the time. They come in there pen at night by themselves. I have a hill on the backside of my property that they like to go on. I know that they have tripped coming down the hill a bunch of times. So maybe that's where he hurt it. They also go under my deck sometimes and there are some larger rocks under there so he could have stepped on one of those as well.

Well I let them pretty much free range all the time. They come in there pen at night by themselves. I have a hill on the backside of my property that they like to go on. I know that they have tripped coming down the hill a bunch of times. So maybe that's where he hurt it. They also go under my deck sometimes and there are some larger rocks under there so he could have stepped on one of those as well.

So if it's an injury it can take a while to heal if the vet can see him he can give you inflammatory and pain meds to help him.

I just went out and had a look at his feet again. He has these brownish black lumps on the back of each foot. I understand this is called bumble foot from my reading.

The one is about the size of a quarter and the other a nickel. He is in his pond now and seems much happier. But still isn't using his legs much.

I just went out and had a look at his feet again. He has these brownish black lumps on the back of each foot. I understand this is called bumble foot from my reading.

The one is about the size of a quarter and the other a nickel. He is in his pond now and seems much happier. But still isn't using his legs much.
Sounds like Bumble foot and they are painful. What I'd do is Soak his feet in warm water with Epsom salt mixed into it. [don't let him drink this solution it's also a laxative], but soak then dry and slather on clear iodine, clear iodine helps bring the bumble to the surface. Once you have treated for a while you try to gently scrap the scabs off with your finger nail making sure not to pull if the scab if good skin skin starts coming up too. once you get the scabs off there maybe a bumble in there,try and get it out with sterile tweezers then pack with antibiotic ointment with out pain relief. keep him on clean bedding till healed. pics would be good

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom