Need help with sick quail...

DanAndQuails

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Our coturnix quail hen is having a tough time right now. Noticed something off two weeks ago—feathers puffed up and she seemed to be having trouble walking, so I thought she was eggbound. Fed her crushed tums, soaked her in a Nekton solution and she seemed to improve. Days later I noticed a foul smell from her cage, couldn’t figure out what it was at first and now realize it is her vent. Her vent is slightly wet but nothing caked on. Not sure if it’s gleet but it smells rotten. Just the last day or so she’s starting panting for air at times and when I picked her up to examine her she gets upset and gasps for air afterward. Could this be fungus/yeast infection related? Could there be a secondary infection now? She is definitely eating less but still regularly, and still drinking. Her feathers are back to being puffed out most of the day. Droppings are normal color and solid. But she has NOT laid in two weeks. I don’t think she is egg bound for two weeks because I’ve always heard that kills within hours/days. Plus she had improved initially. Any help would be great because I am at a loss.

I am rather new to quail myself. But I have had a lot of experience with chickens. Have you given her any apple cider vinegar in her water? It might help.
I just gave it to her tonight actually, so hopefully that will do something to help! Thank you. Does it sound like anything that’s ever happened with your chickens?

Rotten egg smell or yeasty smell? The first leads me to think of broken egg internally (often fatal due to sepsis or internal bleeding), the second points to a fungal infection (and possibly secondary infection after this much time). I'm assuming that a vet is out of the question or you'd not be asking advice in the forums.

Ask your feed store about antibiotics for quail/birds, something that you can add to her water.

AND

At your local pharmacy, pick up some female vaginal yeast treatment (typically Miconazole), rub the cream onto her vent but also butt the tube up to her vent and give a gentle squeeze to get the medicine in there too.

AND

Pray.

I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Rotten egg smell or yeasty smell? The first leads me to think of broken egg internally (often fatal due to sepsis or internal bleeding), the second points to a fungal infection (and possibly secondary infection after this much time). I'm assuming that a vet is out of the question or you'd not be asking advice in the forums.

Ask your feed store about antibiotics for quail/birds, something that you can add to her water.

AND

At your local pharmacy, pick up some female vaginal yeast treatment (typically Miconazole), rub the cream onto her vent but also butt the tube up to her vent and give a gentle squeeze to get the medicine in there too.

AND

Pray.

I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Smell is just bad, smells like bad breath I would say, if that helps? I will pick some up today right after work. Thank you! What if it’s a yeast infection in her crop? I read that it can spread from vent to crop. Maybe that explains the gasping?

Last edited:
Gasping could be a respiratory illness, but it can also be from organs swelling inside (or a broken egg blocking up all the other eggs she should have laid) etc., cramping her lungs and air sacs. Quail tend to be very hearty, healthy birds; providing that their living conditions are reasonably clean cages the chance of a sudden onset of respiratory failure due to environment or disease is kind of rare. (Just offering my thoughts and noting my reasoning). Air sac / Lung image from http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdrespiration.html Reproductive illustration from https://www.researchgate.net/figure...rane-Grus-canadensis-pratensis_fig2_221962913
Female-reproductive-anatomy-of-Sandhill-crane-Grus-canadensis-pratensis.png

Attachments

• Air_sacs_3.png
    Air_sacs_3.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 6
As you can see, her air sacs are distributed in several locations. If she has an egg lodged or broken inside, it's likely to be either in the Shell Gland, in the Vagina or the Cloaca. The abdominal and posterior thoracic air sacs would be the most likely to be affected. These are the largest of her air sacs, so difficulty breathing could result.
Keep in mind though, I cannot say that this is what's wrong with your girl. I can only say that it is my best guess with the information that I have available.
If after a week of antibiotics and fungal cream you don't see improvement, I'd consider culling her.

As you can see, her air sacs are distributed in several locations. If she has an egg lodged or broken inside, it's likely to be either in the Shell Gland, in the Vagina or the Cloaca. The abdominal and posterior thoracic air sacs would be the most likely to be affected. These are the largest of her air sacs, so difficulty breathing could result.
Keep in mind though, I cannot say that this is what's wrong with your girl. I can only say that it is my best guess with the information that I have available.
If after a week of antibiotics and fungal cream you don't see improvement, I'd consider culling her.
Thank you so much for all the info. Just started her on the Monistat (Walgreens brand), the smell immediately went away, I know that’s probably because of the thickness of the cream but it gave me some hope. She’s had apple cider vinegar in her water so I was advised to wait to start her on a round of erythromycin for a possible respiratory infection. So I could start that tomorrow. Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom