need help with your dogs bahvior issues? ask me!

Quote:
There is no issues with mother or father so that is a huge plus. He eats Purina pro plan and is doing well on that. He only gets treats ( dog biscuits ) occasionally. We have a 5 acre pond that he gets plenty of exercise in when the ice is not there and free run of our property. The fish oil and glucosamine supplement sounds like a good idea.

We tried that with our collies, by using two brothers to see if it affect their growth plates and all that, and we found out from these two brothers, one was left intact while the other one was neutered before maturity. Both reached same height, same built but the coats are different. The unaltered male was more coarse while the other brother was softer textured. And their barking voices were different too...the neutured male was more high sopranic sound while the un cut male was deeper.

Yes if you wait too long or never got around to neuter him, testicular and prostate cancers do pop up but not every dog would get it.

Quote:
There is no issues with mother or father so that is a huge plus. He eats Purina pro plan and is doing well on that. He only gets treats ( dog biscuits ) occasionally. We have a 5 acre pond that he gets plenty of exercise in when the ice is not there and free run of our property. The fish oil and glucosamine supplement sounds like a good idea.

Then you have nothing to worry about.
thumbsup.gif

To the OP, as one who does behavior training in dogs, Do you advise people to get a complete medical eval & full lab workup prior to starting the training???
I have an English Bulldog rescue that had MASSIVE behavioral issues and had come to find he had many health problems. Once we had gotten all of his medical needs sorted and and at least stablized, there wasn't a whole lot of training required. It took us about 2 years to get to that point though and to find a vet who would listen.
Just wondering if you request a complete medical eval prior to start training. Becasue as with Bluto, no training would help until he got his medical conditions treated.

Quote:
some issues are cuased by medical conditions mostly its the severe ones if your dog is aggressive,has seperation anxiety,licks or bites excessivly,howls excessivly ect. but alot of behaviors are jsut dogs needing to leanr some direction.
i dont think ive ever heard of a dog who jumped up on people as having a medical issue directly related to and causing that behavior or a dog who was obsessed with a certian toy.
some dogs who do have excitability issues verts will push meds on them much like people nowdays but i think its a very rare few dogs whoreally need meds to calm them down or to stop obsessive behaviors like barking or seperation anxiety i think most of these dogs just have high mental capacities and are not getting the mental stimulation or excersize that they need.

Quote:
some issues are cuased by medical conditions mostly its the severe ones if your dog is aggressive,has seperation anxiety,licks or bites excessivly,howls excessivly ect. but alot of behaviors are jsut dogs needing to leanr some direction.
i dont think ive ever heard of a dog who jumped up on people as having a medical issue directly related to and causing that behavior or a dog who was obsessed with a certian toy.
some dogs who do have excitability issues verts will push meds on them much like people nowdays but i think its a very rare few dogs whoreally need meds to calm them down or to stop obsessive behaviors like barking or seperation anxiety i think most of these dogs just have high mental capacities and are not getting the mental stimulation or excersize that they need.

No, I didn't mean the prozac which I am assuming that is what you are referring to. I mean such as thyroid or liver problems such as the case of my guy. He had low thyroid and his liver is too small and his enzymes were over 700 so he did have some severe aggression problems. Now, he has several other medical problems we had found but these are the ones I attributed to his aggression.
He was accepted initially into Tuft's behavioral study for thyroid but could not participate when they found his ALT being over 700. But, I feel if we would not have found these things he would have been put down. I was with 3 vets prior to my current one who only felt it was becasue of the bully breed. We still do not know why his liver is smaller than normal but I don't feel a biopsy is warranted if the meds have him stablized.
I was talking of real medical issues causing the mental instability and not just feeding prozac as an easier way to deal with behavior.

Oh xchairity_casex I do need you!

I have two 2year olds that are in desperate need of training attention. I honestly should not have gotten either of them at the time, but logic and I are seldom in the same room
smile.png
One is a male (altered) of unknown parentage, the other is a lab/pointer (altered) female. They both sit on command- but thats about it. So, I guess first off, how do I train 2 untrained dogs? Do I need to separate them and work one on one? We have 2 major issues 1)the lab will chew up anything she gets and 2)if they get out of the yard they take off running and wont come back when called.

thanks,
Victoria

Quote:
lol sounds like youve got some hyper pups huh?
firstly excersize! get your pups out for walks everyday no excuse! for high energy dogs which im guessing these two are it wuold be good to get them out for about 2 hour walk per day OR if you have got a treadmill put them on the treadmill first for about 45 minutes then take them for a walk. this is best done when you first wake up take them out for a good walk dont let them pull either your in control they are not allowed to pull you all over the place.

sounds also like these guys need to be engaged through out the day. a good thing to do to keep them focused on you is to get a little treat pouch or a palstic baggy in your pocket and keep somthing yummy in there little treats they never get like small bits of cheese or hot dog or chicken or whatever. thru out the day ask them to sit give a treat then ignore them for a while. keep doing this for about 2 days thru out the day off and on untill you know youve got their attention.
then start working! pick somthing else to teach them like maybe lie down or wait and mix the new trick in with the old again randomly through out the day. i find dogs learn better when you jsut ask them to do somthing for a about 3 minutes then quit instead of having one 15 minute session a day. youll probably start noticing your dogs following you around and being more calm also. when ever they are doing somthing you dont like jsut call them over to do somthing for you and keep up with the excersize! you can also switch up treats and after about the first week you can switch up useing treats and jsut useing praise so they dont become expecting of treats.

since your dogs are already the excitable types im guessing when you take them outside NEVER allow them to go outside when they are excited and go out with them with the treats first on elad then off when there on leads get there attention to you with the treats and commands.
once they have gotton a new command down start another while still using the ones they already know like this "sit,lie down" sit,lie down,wait"
you can also teach them to find it all my dogs have loved this game! take treats or toys and hide them in easy to find places in the house that the dogs are allowed to get to ask them to "find it" and lead them to it once they have found it praise them and do it again untill they get the hang of it then you can hide things harder and stop showing them.

trust me once you can get your dogs attention to be on you and get there enrgy levels drained a bit the rest will be a pice of cake.

Back
Top Bottom