What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. I did the weed whacking on the dreaded slope then got the backyard all trimmed up. It got up to around 85F yesterday. Today is going to hit 89 or 90F. I’m definitely putting the AC units in today. The temps will be in the80’s for the rest of the week but go back to our more seasonable temperatures next week. We did get a brief evening thunderstorm. Very convenient so the garden got a little drink of water after all the heat. The snap peas are starting to climb up the string “tower” I set up yesterday. I’ll take a photo after I weed whack the garden area. Hoping to get the old chicken yard mowed tomorrow. It depends when the “forcasted” rain moves in. I’m hoping to hear from our gardening friends from the storm ravaged zones. Especially in Iowa. Hope all is well.

I ordered a bunch of new dahlia bulbs this spring since all my bulbs from last year rotted in the storage box to dust.

Well this morning I noticed that one bed had still not sprouted. I had 3 bulbs in that bed. I decided to dig them up to see what's going on with them. Guess what? They've ROTTED in the bed. Assuming because of how much rain and heat we had. I'm so disappointed. In the other raised beds I've noticed that there are easily 1-2 bulbs in each of those beds also haven't sprouted... Those probably rotted too.

About to give up entirely on dahlias.
I've had problems growing the big dahlias here too. I can leave them in the ground as long as it's in an area that does not get to wet in winter.

My problems with them are spider mites. Once they start to show flower buds spider mites attack.

Have you tried the smaller types from seed? They usually do much better for me.
Wish I could have the big dinner plates size but they are a constant battle for me.

Fire and ice hydrangeas loving chicken poo!
4x size even w cutting back last year

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
My gardenia needed some help. I threw a lil chicken liter on one side and the next day it was blooming on that side! So I threw more on it!
I’ve checked all leaves of squash - underside - for bugs and eggs. None 😃 cautiously optimistic

Attachments

• IMG_7701.jpeg
    IMG_7701.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7696.jpeg
    IMG_7696.jpeg
    614.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7700.jpeg
    IMG_7700.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 1
On the side, my chicks won’t eat these. I wonder why? Would help a lot
My chickens ignore them too. I Heard that they go after the stink bugs, maybe the stink bug eggs, I don't know. I definitely do not care for stink bugs. I always liked the Roly Poly as a child, & I've always considered them to be beneficial, like earthworms, as they aerate the soil. They hang around structures & trees more, probably for the shade & moisture aspect. There are not any out in the middle of the yard, here. So I never really thought negatively about them.

My chickens ignore them too. I Heard that they go after the stink bugs, maybe the stink bug eggs, I don't know. I definitely do not care for stink bugs. I always liked the Roly Poly as a child, & I've always considered them to be beneficial, like earthworms, as they aerate the soil. They hang around structures & trees more, probably for the shade & moisture aspect. There are not any out in the middle of the yard, here. So I never really thought negatively about them.
I played w them as a kid too! Didn’t realize they are a pest in garden!

Back
Top Bottom