Need help!!!

duckeg

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
Hey everyone , about 5 days ago i noticed one of my ducks is feeling sick he is sitting all the time and barely walks and walks slowly and weird , after 2 days he starts keeping hes tail down hes picking up sometimes i took him to a vet and he gave me vitamins calcium and antibiotics , its been 4 days now but hes acting the same , i don't know what else to do ; hes eating drinking normal but limping ,tail down(his feathers touch the ground) ,unbalanced ,lethargic , sitting all the time
PS:Hes molting

Hey everyone , about 5 days ago i noticed one of my ducks is feeling sick he is sitting all the time and barely walks and walks slowly and weird , after 2 days he starts keeping hes tail down hes picking up sometimes i took him to a vet and he gave me vitamins calcium and antibiotics , its been 4 days now but hes acting the same , i don't know what else to do ; hes eating drinking normal but limping ,tail down(his feathers touch the ground) ,unbalanced ,lethargic , sitting all the time
PS:Hes molting
Drake or Female? Did vet mention xray to see if your duck may have eaten metal? did you check feet for bumble foot? [staff infection] which can be fatal if not treated. How are you giving the meds? also is there anyway he could have eaten something toxic beside maybe ingesting metal, Not saying this is what's wrong but we have to start somewhere with elimination. @duckeg

Last edited:
He is a drake, yes already check his feet for bumble foot, no vet doesnt mentioned xray he just said hes a little bit lethargic and needs to get some rest(i doubt it) , im giving meds with feeding syringe, he may have been eating something toxic but not metal where he could find metal..

I can't help but wonder if your drake's molting may at least be playing a part...my flock drake is molting now, and it's a hard molt, poor guy. He's usually really active and constantly foraging, but recently I've seen him lying down more and he is limping. A thorough check of his feet and his leg joints show nothing abnormal to the eye. He's eating (more than usual), drinking, and pooping normally, but he's definitely crankier and overall not his usual charming self.
1f615.png

I'm just monitoring him for now and ensuring he gets plenty of food (with extra protein for the molt), thinking these symptoms may resolve when he completes his molt.

He is a drake, yes already check his feet for bumble foot, no vet doesnt mentioned xray he just said hes a little bit lethargic and needs to get some rest(i doubt it) , im giving meds with feeding syringe, he may have been eating something toxic but not metal where he could find metal..
On the ground laying around I have a long handled magnet that I use and after heavy rains I find stuff I have never seen. Crazy what gets dumped out on the ground. Screws nails staples.

Here is the link for flushes use if you think he may have eaten something toxic and follow directions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Most of my ducks when going through molt especially if heavy, lay around and aren't as active as normal but they don't limp and hold their tails down to the ground.

Last edited:
@FoodFreedomNow @Miss Lydia
Ok i will try epsom salt and hope it works , and yes he is molting hard im giving him some chicken breast everyday for extra protein ,its ok right?

@FoodFreedomNow @Miss Lydia
Ok i will try epsom salt and hope it works , and yes he is molting hard im giving him some chicken breast everyday for extra protein ,its ok right?
I hope the Epsom salts work, too! Ducks are omnivores, so I'd think chicken breast would be fine to supplement his regular feed. In this BYC thread, nettie says "...ducks enjoy a meat treat every now and then. They can have Chicken or Turkey if it's cooked to a human-safe temperature, and it's boneless/skinless. The white meat is better for them" - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia im confused i have to let him soak in it or feed it with a syringe? what's the difference? I saw both

@Miss Lydia im confused i have to let him soak in it or feed it with a syringe? what's the difference? I saw both
If you feel he has eaten or drank something toxic then yes you can use it as a flush it will cause stomach upset and he'll poop it out. If you soak his foot and leg make sure he doesn't drink the water you use to soak him in since it will be stronger than the flush. I use half cup ES to half gal of warm water for a soak.

Back
Top Bottom