Need ideas for a breeding project.......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am currently not working on any breeding projects, and i need some ideas [​IMG] .

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Create an American game chicken with the Mille Fluer color pattern that is hennie and where roosters have tendency to become broody.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think someone should make Red Pyle Leghorns here in the US, preferably rose combed or that would be my preferance anyway, I have been telling I was going to do it but have to many other projects goin to get into leghorns too. I would be a very easy project of breeding White Leghorns to Brown Leghorns and breed those offwhite offspring back to the brown leghorns and I think that may produce a few red pyles and them breed the Red Pyle ones back to the Browns again should have the dom white transferred over and the pattern cleaned up by then, then just work to make make the Red Pyles breed true and not produce more browns. So this would be a very simple beginner project to make a color using two other colors of the same breed.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    what kinds of birds do you like to work with or what do you already have to start with?

5. birdogbutch

birdogbutch New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    how about some silver or gold duckwing welsummers or blue laced barnevelders. I would like some info on some genetics ideas also on these projects. getting tired of only bbr wellys and plain laced barnevelders. would like to add a little color to the game. does anyone have any suggestions to what to use? got plenty wellys and barneys as well as several kind of marans-no splash though. would like to keep the dark egg on the wellys and barneys

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    find a chicken calculator and start messing around with it... when you end up with a question mark instead of an actual chicken color morph that has a name, make it... LOL...

pick a color, pick a chicken, and do your best... i have some projects brewing as well... good luck...

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Buff barred bantam Cochins! I will never get around to that one and need someone to make some! They are beautiful!

8. Ooooh! Ooooh! I've got one for you and I'll even supply the eggs!

[​IMG]
    Lisa

9. kkaymci55

kkaymci55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    Quote:Absolutely! So I can buy good chicks from you. I'm dying to have some good buff barred cochin bantams

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Swheat already has them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by