Need ideas for frozen treats for hens? ASAP, please..

I freeze 1 liter bottles of water; put a rabbit waterer end on one and put through the wire. My white EE loves to rub her face on the condensation on the bottle; her beard was all soggy yesterday...today we were much cooler so they were not interested in the ice today.

Also put 1 liter bottles of water (with the cap on) into the 3 gallon bucket that has nipple waterers. At night when I check on them I pull them out and put back in the freezer for the next day. I have found I can get 3 to 4 of them in the bucket.

I freeze water in milk jugs...use these in rabbit hutches and in Rubbermaid container on its side for the chickens...a cool room for them to 'chill' in.

Frozen yogurt is popular with my girls!
love.gif

Really, anything you can stick in your freezer, they will probably love!

I haven't given my girls frozen treats, but have given them chilled treats. They love chilled watermelon and cantaloupe, grapes, blueberries and chilled cabbage "tether-ball"! I also put ice cubes in their water although it doesn't last long.

We live in southern Nevada and it gets really hot here also. We installed a mister system along the outside roof of their coop and run it during the day to keep them cool. I also take their afternoon crumbles and scratch and what other scraps they get for treats, add water and put in the big butter tubs to freeze. They looked at it funny the first couple of times, but then really enjoyed their giant popsicles and the semi-frozen food helped them cool off too.

I buy large bags of Europes best mixed fruit to make shakes for my family. Its been really hot here lately and I didn't feel like separating the fruit so I took a big bowl full and gave it to them, it had grapes, pineapple, strawberries, melon and cantaloupe, and I think mixed berries. by the time I was ready to leave the coop, not even 5 minutes, the whole thing was gone. they also love frozen peas.

Found this post by accident but I am sure glad I did! I give my gal's lots of chilled fruits and veggies but never thought about frozen treats!! Now I need to rummage through my fridge and freezers to see what I can find!!

When I made pickles, strawberry jam, etc there were leftover end pieces... I dumped those in (smallish) Gladwear, filled up with water and froze. Then I've got a nice cold treat ready to go. Also do the same with corn cobs... not canning that, but when I cook some up then cut off the corn there's always a decent bit left over... freeze those up and they get a cold and corny snack.

Just me, but so far they seem to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom