Need info on Taking Baby Chicks.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
My hen hatched out 6 babies on monday. She isnt doing too good of a job like she did last time. Its been raining for 2 days now and she isnt taking them out of the rain and wamring them she is up eating and scratching and kinda ignoring the babies. They have already learned to eat and drink. What I am wondering should I take the chicks and set them up in a brooder? Raise them myself or is it too late to take them will they grive for there mother? There only 2 days old. Also what watt of bulb should I use 60 or 100? Plz any info would be great.

I don't know about taking the chicks from mom, but I do know that if you do you might want to start with a 250 watt bulb( maybe a little less), red. Set it high enough that the temp is about 95 degrees at one inch above the floor of the brooder. Also have it set up so that they have an area that they can get away from the heat if it gets too much for them.

You might want to take them. Sounds like mom is bored with it. I had a cat do that once... always a great mom until one day she just didn't want to do it with the last litter. So we eye drop fed them. More work then chickens will be!

I'd bring them in and get a lamp!

Mom has decided to change she gathered all her chicks and heading to the nest finally hiding from the rain. I dunno what she was doing before she was just up being a normal chicken but not being much of a mother well i didnt think so. I'll just keep a closer eye on them and if I see she is ignoring them anymore Ill be bringing them in. Already set up the brooder box with lamp and ect just incase I have to remove the babies.

Back
Top Bottom