Need opinions on incubator temperature.

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
My incubator is a homemade one with a lightbulb. thermostat, and a PC fan. I have it set with eggs right now and it is staying at 98 to 101 degrees. I have a brand new thermometer right under the thermostat and it is reading the temperature accurately. Anyways, I put in the cord that is attached to a different themometer and it is reading a few degrees less. (I put it in the opposite corner relative to my thermostat.

The end of the cord is inside a water wriggler just like everyone has suggested. My question is this: Is it alright for it to say that? Could it just be getting a different reading from the water wriggler?

Thanks!
Cody!!

are the two different thermometers at two different heights? that can do it, even if you have a fan
personally I worry more about too hot than too cool. We had a guy buy some eggs from us and he incubated them at about 4 degrees F too hot, they all hatched but all had splay leg and had to be culled in the end

I concur with darkfur...I've had more success with healthy and strong babies hatching when my temps were a little lower- say 97-98. but I don't have a fan...got a still air bator. I'm not sure if that makes a difference- I'm still quite the new-b!

Back
Top Bottom