Need opinions on incubator temperature.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chicken_angler, Jan 20, 2010.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    My incubator is a homemade one with a lightbulb. thermostat, and a PC fan. I have it set with eggs right now and it is staying at 98 to 101 degrees. I have a brand new thermometer right under the thermostat and it is reading the temperature accurately. Anyways, I put in the cord that is attached to a different themometer and it is reading a few degrees less. (I put it in the opposite corner relative to my thermostat.

The end of the cord is inside a water wriggler just like everyone has suggested. My question is this: Is it alright for it to say that? Could it just be getting a different reading from the water wriggler?

Thanks!
    Cody!!

2. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

are the two different thermometers at two different heights? that can do it, even if you have a fan
    personally I worry more about too hot than too cool. We had a guy buy some eggs from us and he incubated them at about 4 degrees F too hot, they all hatched but all had splay leg and had to be culled in the end

3. ksukristin

ksukristin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I concur with darkfur...I've had more success with healthy and strong babies hatching when my temps were a little lower- say 97-98. but I don't have a fan...got a still air bator. I'm not sure if that makes a difference- I'm still quite the new-b!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by