Need oral administration dose calc help- EM Erythromycin by API (fish meds)

Serenity Sav

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Albuquerque
I’m usually better at doing this type of calculation but my brain is tired and not working well.

I have EM erythromycin (fish medicine) powder (200mg packets) and need to treat a rooster that has Coryza (young polish, approx 3-4 lbs).
What would be the proper dosage of powder to water for individual, controlled oral administration? And how often/for how long, more or less?

As I understand it, normally the dosing for chickens would be for adding to their drinking water, but I have other very small birds that drink from the chickens water dishes and the normal chicken water dose could harm the small birds (finches, canaries, etc). So instead, I’m looking to give the solution orally with a syringe.

Thank you in advance, on behalf of my tired brain. 🙂

Have you had him tested to confirm the coryza? What are all of his symptoms and does he smell bad around his face? MG (mycoplasma) is more common and symptoms may be similar, but different.

Erythromycin is probably not the first choice for treating a respiratory disease in chickens due to increasing antibiotic resistance. I am not familiar with the dosage, but I would try to distinguish which disease you may be treating, so the right antibiotic can be used. MG is treated with Tylan (tylosin,) oxytetracycline or doxycycline, or enrofloxacin (that one is banned for chickens, but some vets still prescribe it if the person understands that, and a rooster who doesn’t lay eggs is not so much a risk. For coryza, sulfonamide antibiotics are a better choice, and those include bactrim, smz-tmp, and sulfadimethoxine are some that are used.

I will look for dosage just in case you still need to use emycin.

A 4 pound chicken would get 40 mg per day at 10 mg per pound. If you have 200mg packets, and you can mix that into 10 ml of water, the mixture would equal 20 mg per ml. His daily dosage would be 2 ml of that daily, and I would give half of that in the morning and half in the evening.

A 4 pound chicken would get 40 mg per day at 10 mg per pound. If you have 200mg packets, and you can mix that into 10 ml of water, the mixture would equal 20 mg per ml. His daily dosage would be 2 ml of that daily, and I would give half of that in the morning and half in the evening.
Hey. I know this is an old post but can you tell me if this mixture has to be refridgerated after mixing? Or can i leave it on the counter?

Back
Top Bottom