Need some advice on my coop design for winter...

That's what I've been tossing around, I think at least for the one side that the rain comes in on more I may create an awning of some sort to keep weather out but let light and some air in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, I've seen those poop boards, I am doing that for sure!!!!! From them being in the garage I can see what comes out during the night!!! Yikes! lol

They are in the main backyard with our dogs and cats so I'm hoping some of their smells may deter some predators, I am going to put hardwire along the bottom o the privacy fence where they are because I did have a baby opossum get in, tho my german shepherd got it and was playing with it... Really the internal fencing is for us! They really like to be in the middle of everything so it would be nice sometimes to maybe have them penned a bit when family is over and we are outside... it's amazing how many people are afraid of them... lol

Great info! I am also in Kentucky!! The ventilation dilemma is hard for me since I am building impaired...good thing I have a handy husband! Any thoughts on how many windows in a coop for 4-6 chickens and ventilation in summer. Can I just leave the windows open ( predator proof of course) in warmer months?

I am leaving those three at the top open for light and I just bought this for $10 at the Habitat for Humanity restore in Louisville for a window on the east side of the coop making it able to be swung open and putting a hardwire screen behind it. I want them to have all the light they can.

I'm not totally building impaired but my hubby is a perfectionist, this coop was built that someone could have moved into it if it were bigger... lol.. those are solid walls and floors in there and that thing is going to last years! But here was my attempt at building the nesting boxes... lol... I'm not finished but I'm pretty proud of my job...going to need calking and some adjustments but they will be so happy in there.. as you can see they were already checking out my work while I was working on it... lol

I'm changing the door on this one so it hangs from the top and uses gravity to shut along with the latch I'm putting on it..

I have the exact set up in my roof eaves. My roof is slanting as well, and the roof eaves are on the east side and the west side of the coop. Now that the temps are getting near the single digits at night, I have blocked off half of the east side eave openings, leaving a few of them open. The openings on the west side will stay open and uncovered all winter. There will still be ventilation, but the air will move slower thru the coop, allowing a bit of heat to sit longer around the birds.

Mine are south and north facing. I'm going to get a wireless thermometer so I can track the temps in there and make adjustments accordingly...

Here's a picture of our coop:

It has a slanted roof as well.

Nice! after this one, my next one will be a nice walk in styled coop... with just my six right now the one is fine but I know once I start getting more chickens I will need another coop.... hubby will be soooooo happy... lol

Back
Top Bottom