Need some goat advice......is there a site like this one?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Hi,
I am caring for my neighbors 4 goats while she is away and want to learn more about their behaviors....particularily how to avoid them jumping up on me.....is there a site like this one for goats? Thanks for any help.
Anne

I have sanaans and boers, the only one that jumps up is ginger, she is a redish boer, and was running wild in the fields, we saved her from the slaughter house, she had never been handled.. after being with us for one day, she started acting like a dog, following us everywhere, jumping on us when we weren't paying attention to her! We try to just gently push her down with our knee, and tell her no.. usually it works for a minute or two... you just have to be persistant, they are just looking for treats!
Her baby, spunky, does the same thing now, I think it is in their genes!
Goats are mostly very friendly, and just want attention, but the most important thing they live for is to eat!!
My advice is just to wear old clothes when you go to check on the goats! and if you are feeding them, we try to hold the feed away from us up high, and then they eventually run for the feeders, or the hay feeders!

thank you so much. I will check out the site and yes, old clothes are definitely the thing. These goats are very sweet, gentle and loving, except for the jumping......and they do follow me around, but I am anxious about turning my back as yesterday the biggest came up behind me and I staggered but didn't fall.
Anne

I have a billy who thinks he is a dog too, he is bigger than the rest of course and I would never turn my back on him! He would definately knock me over!
I always have treats or a flake of hay to distract him if I am going in there! it is wise to not turn your back on the goats!!

Be sure to push the goat on the chest area - messing with their heads will just cause them to think you want to play head butting games...
roll.png

thats right! My neighbor has a billy and he is a city boy, he was pushing on the billy's head, playing with him, we warned him that he was going to get butted! well he did!

Back
Top Bottom