Need some help with baby chick

florita1993

Hatching
Oct 25, 2018
Last satuday, my husband found one of the baby chicks abandoned by its mom. We have a few chickens (we live in Haiti) and we aren't sure why the mom abandoned it. It was very comfortable with us holding it. We started trying to feed it and give it water. It didn't really want to eat the bird feed I had. It wasn't corn, it was super small grain. We tried different foods and it likes tomatoes and other fruits and salads.

It cries when I am not holding it. It likes to fall asleep in my hand. It follows me everywhere. We have a little basket that it sleeps in at night time. Its been pretty active during the day, crying when I am not around. Running after me.

But, today, it seems very sleepy since this afternoon. I tried to put it on the floor and it just fell asleep. I am really worried about it. Is the baby dying? I already love it so much and been doing everything I can to help it. First image was tuesday. Second Image is today when it was awake on my pregnant belly.

Attachments

• IMG_7556.JPG
    IMG_7556.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7603.JPG
    IMG_7603.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 6
What a precious little thing!
Can you get a bag of chick starter in Haiti? It needs proper nutrition to grow and thrive. While you are trying to find some chick starter crumbles, you can feed it plain scrambled eggs.
Can you get any Save-a-chick? Do you have farm stores in Haiti? Can you get these things from the Internet?

Can you get a bag of chick starter in Haiti? It needs proper nutrition to grow and thrive. While you are trying to find some chick starter crumbles, you can feed it plain scrambled eggs.
Can you get any Save-a-chick? Do you have farm stores in Haiti? Can you get these things from the Internet?

We have something called pitimi. We can't get a bag of chick started here. I will try to feed it some plain scrambled eggs.
We have no farm stores where I live and there is no post office.
I keep trying to wake it up and it just wants to sleep. I am really worried. :(

this is pitimi.

Attachments

• DMRZSBPWkAQedqI.jpg
    DMRZSBPWkAQedqI.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 4
I would not feed it the pitimi. The chick is too small for that.
Are there any people near you that have chickens? You could ask them for help with what to feed this chick. Offer the eggs until you can get something better.
Wishing you the best of luck.

How long has it been away from the mom? You might be able to stick it back under her. Wait until darkness falls. When it’s totally dark, go out to the coop and put it under her as quietly as possible. Then the next morning hurry out and make sure that the baby is ok and that the mom has accepted it. If it doesn’t work take all the babies away for night and give them all back in the morning. That fixed a problem that I had when my mama bantam rejected one chick. Chickens need other chickens. It’s important that you get her back with other chickens! Hopefully it works out!

How long has it been away from the mom? You might be able to stick it back under her. Wait until darkness falls. When it’s totally dark, go out to the coop and put it under her as quietly as possible. Then the next morning hurry out and make sure that the baby is ok and that the mom has accepted it. If it doesn’t work take all the babies away for night and give them all back in the morning. That fixed a problem that I had when my mama bantam rejected one chick. Chickens need other chickens. It’s important that you get her back with other chickens! Hopefully it works out!

We tried to reunite it with the mom this morning. The mom attacked. They dont sleep in a coop. They sleep outside wherever they want so its hard for me to put it under her. Normally they sleep up in a tree. Our chickens are weird.

Back
Top Bottom