Need some ideas and suggestions with a prefab coop please

Birdydeb

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
In a valley between the mountains
Before anybody asks this is supposed to be a separation/broody coop. I have a main coop and just bought this on sale to try to come up with something to use when needed. I will admit it...I am absolutely horrible with measurements and trying to "see" how something will work in my mind. I never expected this coop to hold more than two chickens max even though I think it was sold as holding four. Usual BS. Personally I think two would a stretch. I have put it together myself and now need to figure out how to tweak it. My thought when I bought it was to just to enclose the whole thing in plywood since it will be inside a run. Any ideas? On some other threads I have read there have been some really good suggestions. :)

Leave about 4 inches of open wire around the top, and add plywood around the sides. If possible, move the nest box assembly, down to floor level. Remove the floor and the wall that opens to the 'run'. Take out the ramp. Add some appropriately sized roosting bars.

All of that is doable. The "floor" under the coop part is actually the poop tray only, so remove the tray...floor gone. The inside wall shouldn't be too difficult to cut out and the nest box can be moved to ground level. Then cover in plywood. No floor? Set it on wire and anchor it down? Thank you for the suggestions....this just might work for two chickens after all. :)

No need to add wire to the bottom. Paver stones around the the outside to prevent predators digging in, should be all that is needed. With those changes, and an appropriately sized run, it could easily accommodate 4 to 6, or a broody hen and her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom