Need Some Input

peep-a-boo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Dripping Springs, TX
Hello! I don't own any chickens, but I'm hoping that'll change soon. The city allows chickens, but not in the subdivision I live in. I was told I can write a letter to my HOA's BOD and they'll review it. I only have one shot at this so I better make it compelling. I thought I'd approach it as comparing chicken ownership to dog ownership: they are quieter, they don't bite if one should get out, and they offer additional benefits that a dog can't (eggs, fertilizer, pest control). I plan to have 2 chickens (3 at the most). The breeds I narrowed it down to are Easter Eggers and Silkies. The coop will have a 4X8 footprint. I would love some input to help plead my case to the Board. Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

If you "google" topics on Urban/Backyard chickens and city ordinances you will find a wealth of information, and I agree with HorseFeatherz that this website has endless information. Below I'll include a blog from a very knowledgeable individual that I feel provides solid responses to the most common concerns neighbors and cities have with keeping chickens (I would address these common concerns right at the get go - also include all the benefits of keeping your own backyard flock - local food, having control of the treatment of the animals, experiences the connection between food and the source etc.). My suggestion is to be a professional and respectful as possible, while having researched the ordinances currently in place in your city (for instance call animal control or the city/police departments to see how many "chicken complaints" have come in since the ordinance took place? How many licenses for keeping chickens within the city were issued each year etc.) Perspective also helps . . . get local statistics on annual dog licenses were issued each year, and how many complaints were filed about dogs and cats in comparison to chickens. I hope this helps . . . Good Luck!!!! p.s. I have not read anything in my city ordinances that says I can or cannot keep chickens . . . if it were to ever become a problem (thank goodness I have angels for neighbors who are very supportive), I will be doing the same thing. Here is that blog address: http://atlantachickenwhisperer.blogspot.com/

First, you need to thoroughly read and understand your documents: CC&Rs, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, Rules and any others that may exist. You need to know who has the power to change the provisions in whatever document or documents disallow chickens. You need to look at the specific language used, and you need to review any provisions relating to any and all other animals.

If (as would be common) the CC&Rs disallow chickens, chances are that the board does NOT have the power to override those provisions or alter the document to llow them. Generally ONLY the membership can alter the CC&Rs, and it usually requires a huge percentage of approving votes--think of it as being similar to amending the constitution. What the board CAN do is recommend a change, and schedule an election for the members to vote on the issue. Even if htey say "no," chances are pretty good that either your documents or your state law details a process where you can force an issue to a membership vote. This would usually involve a perentage (in Arizna it is 20%) of the membership requesting via petition a vote.

However, there are SOME CC&Rs that have no built-in provision for change/amendmemnt, meaning that only is 100% of the membership votes to approve a change can it be incorporated. Documents written without provisions for change usually either expire after 20 or so years, or self-renew every twenty or so years, with a provision that the year they are due to expire or renew, changes can be incorporated by a majority (or other stated approval percentage) of the members.

So, back to my first sentence--first you neeed to find out what you are up against. Then we can give you some ideas. The best presentation in the world will not help if it is not in the power of the board to make your recommended change.

I've been lurking on BYC for awhile and wasn't able to find what I was looking for. But y'all gave me EXACTLY what I needed to add to my arsenol of pros vs. cons. The property management company said that only the board and the developer can make changes to the CC&Rs and that they will forward my letter/request to them. I'm so excited!!! Thank you all so much for the info, tips, and suggestions!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom