Need suggestions - 3 out of 4 chicks are fighting!

amysflock

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Tenino, WA
I've got four hen-hatched and brooded mixed breed chicks in a pen together with Mama the Easter Egger (their "mother"). The oldest two chicks are 5 days older than the baby...Mama hatched them all. Tonight I heard all kinds of commotion in their brooder pen so took a look, and found the black chick, which I'm pretty sure is a roo, beating up the white one, who's the baby...chasing him/her all around. The other two chicks are red, and the black chick was getting into it with the larger red one...they were standing up tall and flapping and carrying on. The fourth chick stays out of it.

I saw this behavior last year when I had older adolescent roos together in a mixed sex flock. I'm thinking the big red one, the black one and the little white may all be boys. Does this sound plausible? They hatched July 21-25, so are 4-5 weeks old now.

Not sure what to do here...I don't want carnage. I would like to move everyone into the big coop with the rest of the flock (1 older roo and 6 other hens) but am concerned the flock will harrass the chicks, and/or join in if the little white one continues to be bullied. I've also considered taking Mama out and leaving the chicks in the brooder (4'x4'), but maybe that's not a good idea either?

Help!!

They are only figuring out the pecking order. All chicks do this at some point. Does not mean they are roosters either as hens are just as capable of being aggressive. However, I think the little white baby may be too young to be in with the chicks five days older than it. Since it's the smallest and youngest, it is more likely to be picked on and set at the bottom of the pecking order, which you just saw. Now, if you see blood or the "meaner" chick breaking the skin of the others, then it may be time for a timeout for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom