Need Tips for Weak Late Hatcher

MamaDuck1

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
California
My Muscovy hen rejected a baby that hatched two days after the others. I found it taken out of the nest, sprawled out, and cold. He is in a brooder, of course, with non medicated feed and electrolytes. He made it through the night :) He is definitely getting stronger, but his legs are still weak. I'm doing my best to stimulate his body and mind. No signs of splayed legs, luckily. I am open to any tips, advice, and experience you may have. I know some may say that the mom knows best and to let nature take it's course, but I had to act quick and as we have domesticated ducks and brought them into our lives, nature has already been swayed and I feel it is my responsibility and I am willing to do whatever it takes. Thanks for any help!

My Muscovy hen rejected a baby that hatched two days after the others. I found it taken out of the nest, sprawled out, and cold. He is in a brooder, of course, with non medicated feed and electrolytes. He made it through the night
smile.png
He is definitely getting stronger, but his legs are still weak. I'm doing my best to stimulate his body and mind. No signs of splayed legs, luckily. I am open to any tips, advice, and experience you may have. I know some may say that the mom knows best and to let nature take it's course, but I had to act quick and as we have domesticated ducks and brought them into our lives, nature has already been swayed and I feel it is my responsibility and I am willing to do whatever it takes. Thanks for any help!
Time might be all that's needed. Sometimes these babies get better with each passing day; and sometimes not. One thing to watch for is that there is nothing to hinder the duckling's movements. Be sure the water dish and feeders are such that the duckling will not get wet and then cold or get into a feeder and not be able to get out.

@MamaDuck1 same happened here over 4 yrs ago, found the little one laying out of the nest with bite marks on his head where his mama attacked him, I placed him under one of my broody hens[chicken] took the grand kids to town came home to find him again tossed out of the nest ,so we quickly put together a brooder and that lil duckling amazed us at how quickly he warmed up and came to life. It took him a few days but he was 4 yrs old in June and the love of my life. So hopefully your little one will do the same. Has it started eating and drinking yet? if so see if you can get some poultry Nutri Drench and put into his water, you can also give this straight into the mouth using a small needle less syringe just inside the bill. tiny bit at a time. Please update on how it's doing.

Thank you, all! I didn't realize I had replies waiting for me. I thought I had email notifications set up. It took some work, but I'm happy to say I have a happy, healthy, and strong baby under my care now! The baby has imprinted on me, but also enjoys time with his siblings (two baby chicks my son's school hatched in an incubator). I will try and put a couple pictures up. Thanks again! I feel it's safe now to give him/her a name now. Any ideas?
1f603.png
1f603.png

Last edited:
Thank you, all! I didn't realize I had replies waiting for me. I thought I had email notifications set up. It took some work, but I'm happy to say I have a happy, healthy, and strong baby under my care now! The baby has imprinted on me, but also enjoys time with his siblings (two baby chicks my son's school hatched in an incubator). I will try and put a couple pictures up. Thanks again! I feel it's safe now to give him/her a name now. Any ideas?
1f603.png
1f603.png
Great news!! pics would be great. Names I am not good at.

Back
Top Bottom