need to do some landscaping? around church building on the cheap

seedcorn

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
NE. IN
As w/most places, people don't have a lot of $$. So in order to cut down mowing that we take places doing, I suggested a flower garden on west side. Trying to to get mulch from tree trimmers for free but what kind of flowers would you use? I'm thinking daisy's but what's the cheapest way to get them? Do they start from seeds or do you have to buy plants?

If plants, is there a place to buy a bunch of starts cheap? I'm going to dig some lilies from the road side of my neighbors and transplant them for back round. Yes. he's fine w/it.

I'm open for suggestions.

Here's a thought. I assume you have chickens? Try planting some comfrey. It is a hardy perenial that can do double duty as fodder. There are different strains. Bocking no. 4 is the best for fodder having 35% protein. I have a nice bed of bocking #4 that I have been using for rabbit food and also feeding to chicks still in the brooder.

Comfrey has been used extensively in eastern europe and africa as fodder for centurys but has never caught on in the US. One reason for that is the high moisture content which makes it harder to harvest compared to say alfalfa. It is a broadleaf plant that goes 2 to 2 1/2 feet high and about 3 foot dia. It easily shades out competition so saves much work on weeding. It has a tap root that can go down to 10 feet deep to bring up lots of minerals and good stuff. The flowers are purple. When mature (2 to 3 years) it can be harvested 3 to 4 times a year or more. The whole plant is very insect resistant. Bocking #4 is sterile but can be easily propigated by root cuttings. This is significant because regular comfrey can be invasive. I have increased my comfrey bed to about 30 plants but next year I'm going to make a serious enlargement to help feed the chickens. I plan on drying and chopping the comfrey and combine it with regular grains to cut costs.

Last edited:
Geez,
I bet if you put a memo out to your church in the bulletin about what you were doing.... I'm sure a lot of members could thin out their garden beds and give you what you need....from chrysanthemums for the fall....to daisys and daffodiles in the spring. Lillys pretty much have a mind of their own and will take over a place so give them their own spot.

Every church needs purple....find some heather. I bet somebody has decortive grasses too and hostas. Why not pull the call out there. I bet you get more than what you need.

Farmer's markets are done in these parts but that's where I would go to look for starts. And right now...nursery's have everything marked half off. If you can get them in the ground and there isn't going to be a hard freeze for at least a week....you could go there too. But we are freezing now up in N. Il. overnight. Forgot to see where you were from. But always remember towards the end of the season is when nursery's are practically giving stuff away.

seeds are ok for annual mixes but it's better to get plants for perrenials I have found. but i had a really pretty mix of annuals that came in a package...and they were all tall, like 3 feet.

remember tall in the back and small in the front. you can get other hints by going to your local library and checking out the landscaping books.

me,
g

I would ask local nurseries for plants that are out of season or just need some TLC. I got a bunch of plants before this way.
They left a lot of chocolate mint in the sun and they got sun-damaged, so they sold it all to me for $1.50 each.
For sure get perennials!
Try rosemary, the smell good and have pretty flowers.
I would definitely get a guide from the library.

You need spring flowers.

Daffodils, tulips, iris'.

There's got to be some members with some extra bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom