Need your help with this chicken. is this respiratory disease? * includes video*

Pics
Sorry for the late reply but these days were very busy.

Wife boiled the egg so I only have pictures after boiling. It seems this is an undeveloped egg? Or is this related with the disease?
Hard to know...could very well be a small yolk(probably) or a large meat spot.
A funky yolk could be from disease/treatment....only time will tell.

well, after that odd egg, I am collecting regular eggs but today only got one and yesterday only got 2. never had so few eggs in a timeframe, these last days it is very rare to have 3 eggs from the 3 adult hens daily.

Last edited:
well, after that odd egg, I am collecting regular eggs but today only got one and yesterday only got 2. never had so few eggs in a timeframe, these last days it is very rare to have 3 eggs from the 3 adult hens daily.
Not sure I'd want to be eating eggs from medicated birds anyway.
Would want to wait at least 3 weeks after last dose of meds(antibiotics I presume).

Only 1 egg today.

We are not eating them, I am feeding these eggs to the new pullets and they love them.

Was observing all chickens and it seemed my black star sneezed. I wonder if this is over as I stopped medication a week ago.

OK, small update.

Things seem to be going well until now, one of the newest chickens started laying eggs and today I caught it in the nest but with a very odd behaviour.

She seemed to be dead at first. She put her neck against the coop laying down like if she died during the night, twisted and everything. But she was breathing so I touched it lightly and she made a sound. After a bit my black star went inside and started pecking her and she did not move. I remove the black star and the white chicken turned around and seemed fine, eyes wide open, no swelling anywhere. I left it there, maybe she is just trying to protect the head since they are still going through the pecking order?

Has anyone seen this? Shall I isolate her?

Why this behaviour? They were all active in the last days.

Is the one that is sick now they same one in the first post or a different one?
If you have photo or video of her that would be good.
I would take the one that is sick and put her in a separate cage so she is not picked on.
Is she of laying age? You may want to feel inside her vent to make sure she's not egg bound.
Is her neck twisted? I would try to get her hydrated. If you have vitamin E and B1, add that to her water, you may need to syringe a few drops at time into her, careful that she doesn't aspirate.

The chicken is not the same. The neck is not twisted but the way she was while in the coop made it seem like it was. I could not see her head while looking from the top if this makes sense.

The medication is over for weeks now, they were doing fine until I saw this today.

This younger chicken layed its first egg 2 days ago, and it given me 2 eggs, today it seemed to be laying its 3rd (so one egg per day). I am not at home now, will go to the coop as soon as I get home, maybe in one hour or so.

When she moved she seemed fine. The weather is hot and some of them have the beaks open but it is due to heat. They have 2 feeders and 2 drinkers because older hens are still defending one area in the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom