Need your help with this chicken. is this respiratory disease? * includes video*

the one on the right is sick and I already put her with the first one, I am asking the one on the left! maybe I should also isolate her and place all 3 together?

Honestly, since they (all of the new hens) were all together from the sale, it probably means they could go together. But if you prefer to put the 3 sick ones together, that is fine. The one on the left does appear to have nasal drainage.

called the veterinary, he said he could give me medical treatment to put in the water and we treat them all at once. I also asked a dewormer so we can also take care of that now for all of them. tomorrow I will not go to work so I will have time for this.

just went to the garage, the second bird is now worse than the first one. it really makes a noise like a cat doing its rom rom thing. the first bird is breathing normally.

all of the others are outside in the coop.

regarding the birds being carriers, I really do like to have my pets in good shape and it brakes my heart to see them sick.

do you think that even if they recover, they might get sick again? or if I treat all of them their immune system will be prepared for this type of situation? this is important information because I cannot cull them myself but if it means I am only delaying a problem by treating them now, I would prefer to cull them now (will ask the veterinary to do it for me) and try to avoid problems later.

this afternoon I was reading on "humanly ways to cull a chicken" and even that will be hard for me. from axe and kill instantly to dislocating the neck or gasing birds, I cannot do it.

Last edited:
It would be good to know which disease that they have, as to whether or not it is necessary to cull them. It is possible they have a virus which can run it’s course over time. If they have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) that can come back in times of severe stress. There is a vaccine available for that. Your vet might be able to help with getting some tested for what disease they have. If you are not seeing bubbles in eyes or swollen eyes, you may just be treating infectious bronchitis or another virus.
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/respiratory-disease/index.aspx

today already isolated one more bird (all of them from the same white species).

unfortunately, my black star, the oldest hen and ruler of them all is also sneezing so this disease is spread on my entire flock of 13 birds. the black star is not isolated because I have no way to isolate them all, if I put her together in the small dog crate with the other 3 white chickens, she will peck them to death.

such bad news, a week ago all was fine and look where things are today.

the veterinary gave me a product to mix in the water but I am really devastated with all this. from what I read, these problems will never go away, it will be just a matter of time before all starts again.

today already isolated one more bird (all of them from the same white species).

unfortunately, my black star, the oldest hen and ruler of them all is also sneezing so this disease is spread on my entire flock of 13 birds. the black star is not isolated because I have no way to isolate them all, if I put her together in the small dog crate with the other 3 white chickens, she will peck them to death.

such bad news, a week ago all was fine and look where things are today.

the veterinary gave me a product to mix in the water but I am really devastated with all this. from what I read, these problems will never go away, it will be just a matter of time before all starts again.
I'm so sorry :hugs

Such thing is not doable here, chickens are regarded as something disposable.

Only thing I have left is the treatment and hope. Put the third bird together with the flock because it was acting too bossy around the other 2 birds pecking them when they tried to eat.

I hope I do not loose all of them.

time for another update.

today both chickens that are isolated seem to be a bit more active. the one getting the injections is the one on top. I found out that if I put the medicated water in their food they eat a lot more, they seem to enjoy all that nastiness. but I am not worried with that, I just want them to eat and gain some weight while being medicated. also thrown some vegetables in there so they start to get its taste.

question: does this needs to be changed daily? or should I just keep adding more food and more water?

the other 8 pullets I bought. I have at least 2 or 3 more white ones with a runny "nose" (you can clearly see this 40 seconds into the video, one side of the nose is all dirty), you can see it dirty from being wet. this does not seem to happen with the other ones so I believe this attacked the white ones more. at this point I cannot tell that the others are not with the same problem. anyway, used the same tactic, medicated water in their food and they seem to like it this way. I also did this with the older hens.

these 3 are still laying eggs although we cannot eat them for now since they are being medicated. I have a dozen eggs that I am planning on boiling and feed them, at least they will have the protein and will not make them any harm since they are being medicated in the first place. the black star sneezed at least twice I have heard, the brown in the back made a rattling noise so these are also with problems.

when I was coming back I heard the rattling noise coming from the dog crate. sounds like an old man full of catarrh from smoking for 50 years). the one making this is the one that is not getting the injections, only water at least for now, she has a black spot in the beak (it is the one closest to me).

all in all, I think today there was some progress. what do you think from what you saw? would you make something different from me? if yes, what? I just want them to be all in good shape so I put them all together, all happy, all foraging when I let them out of their "movable" run. this run has the coops inside and I keep it on the go since it has wheels.

let me know what I can do more to help them. also, by looking into the runny nose, do you think this disease can come back in the future? or no way to tell?

apart from the sneezes, rattling respiration from time to time, runny noise and sometimes being sleepy, I am not noticing anything more. is this a one time virus? I really hope it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom