Needy Chick

Kendall_Gonzo18

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
Hello! I am a very new chicken owner, I’ve had them since they were 3 days old, hatched on 4/23. So far things have been going very well - I have 4 chicks, Blue Cochin, Australorp, Ameraucauna, and one that I believe is an Easter Egger. I’ve grown very close to them and they to me, and I try my best to make sure their brooder is clean, they have clean food and water, and they can stretch their legs enough throughout the day. Recently my Ameraucauna, Buddy, has gotten a bit more... aggressive. She used to be very mindful of the others and was never super vocal or had any bullying tendencies, in fact, my Easter Egger was very much top of the pecking order. But nowadays, Buddy will chirp VERY loudly, much louder than the others, and when I check to see what’s wrong, everything’s fine and I’m pretty sure she just wants attention as she typically calms once I’m there. But she will push other chicks out of the way when sitting with me, and she will be very loud and disruptive just to get my attention. She even pecks more than she used to.
I’m trying to teach her not to bully the others, but is it ok to indulge her attention needs? I worry it may ostracize the others. Is there something else I should look out for? She appears very healthy and has no injuries, eats well, poops fine, etc.
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom