Neighbor threatening me and another neighbor about chickens

Quote:
x2 ~ What right do they have to tell you what you can do on your own land. You obviously are being considerate by leaving them cooped up till 8am. Sounds like they are being really unreasonable. I would send them a letter in writing~ documenting their verbal threats against your livestock will not be taken lightly and I would file a police report if they continue to threaten anything on your property. I know it's a hassle but from what I have read some neighbors can get out of hand and I would hate to hear of any harm coming to your babies. If you keep it well documented if anything were to ever happen you would have some proof of their behavior. If it is something you could talk out with them~ obviously that would be better, but from what you said it doesn't sound like they are very level-headed. Good Luck and remember~ if their dog does crosses onto your land and intend to harm your animals you are completely within your rights to defend yourself. They would be foolish to think otherwise.

Quote:
Have to agree with this statement . She is already incensed about the matter so I wouldn't set out to prove a point , because things will only escalate . You will be the better person for it .
smile.png

Quote:
I haven't read this whole thread but thought I'd throw out a comment wrt the bolded part - be careful letting them store stuff on your property, especially if they aren't the nicest of folks. Where I live, if someone uses your property, with or without permission, and you don't do anything to stop them, then after a certain period of time (years, not months) they can actually have a legal ownership claim to the property.

Yes this can happen. I live back in the woods and to get to my house there is a dirt road. No one knows who owns it, no one will admit to owning it. Now we get pretty bad winters up here in PA. that means WE had to go buy a plow. And we have to plow our whole entire road. It's not such a short road eathier! If they ever try to build here we will take ownership forge road because we have cared for it for it for such a long time! I also have a lower field behind my house. We do not own that but we take care of it. Ifthey were to build behind my house in the woods, I have no worries in taking it from the owner via court system. There is roughly 30 arcers behind my house and I don't think I ever would but if it would come down to it and they were trying to build right behInd my house, I bet we could fight for all the 30 some arcers because WE are the ones who take care of it. Kids go back there and party, we clean it up. They timbered threes back there. We fixed the trails. We take care of the wild life. They do nothing. Which is fine unless they want to build on my land! Then I'll have a problem!

Last edited:
Just tell your neighbor she can send her dog on over. Then she can pay for everybird it kills. Where I live, animals that harass livestock are disposed of. Either by the property owner or AC. I live in an agriculturally zoned subdivision, and my neighbors actually have to fence my birds out of their own yard if they have a problem with them (not that I let my animals roam the neighborhood). Paying for someones livestock can get very pricey. Sometimes you can calcuate up feed costs and loss of egg sales and such as well. I haven't read through this entire thread since its 10 pages long, but I would definately let your neighbor know you don't take kindly to her threats, and if she does act upon them there will be consequenses. Good luck!

Why shoot the dog? Dogs will be dogs and I myself don't like dogs at all, however, maybe it's time to CULL the neighbor
wink.png
(jkng of course)

I would be tempted to build special coops and have several roo's just for spite!!!

Quote:
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! One of my worst fears is having my neighbors complain about my chickens and the stress that would cause- I really feel for you. I'm glad you won't shoot the dog though
big_smile.png
I feel bad for the poor dog having to live with a witch like that. Does her dog bark a lot? You could always tell her you have to listen to her dog barking so she gets to listen to your rooster crowing. Then there's always restraining orders! Just in case lol.

Best wishes!

Yep,you'd better shoot that dog.
8.gif

It is not going to be your fault if it trespasses your land and even more if your neighbour let the dog to do it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have hateful neighbors. I have one of those myself... I literally had to get a statement from the City Attorney that stated that there was no ordinance against having hens before i started my flock. Good luck, I hope everything works out.
fl.gif

I have 2 neighbors, one is a deputy sheriff that loves my roos, the other-his son got a pet roo as a gift from me-now they have 20 hens with him!

Back
Top Bottom