Neighbor threatening me and another neighbor about chickens

Quote:
That's a direct threat against you and yours. Not just your 'property' ala the chickens, but any person on the property could easily end up bitten as well. That is NOT allowed. I would put in a call to animal control (or whoever it is in your area) and make sure that they're apprised of that so that IF she ever makes good on her threat you'll have a record. And keep a camera on hand... you see her dog on your property take pictures, THEN call animal control. If the dog is back in her yard by the time they show up they can't do anything... but with pictures... a game camera wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You aren't breaking the law, her threatening you/others most definitely is. She is the criminal here, not you. Make sure the local authorities know what's going on... maybe them just informing her of the facts would be enough to curb her violent thoughts before they become violent actions. Plus again, record so if your animals 'mysteriously' disappear they'll know where to start looking... and if she knows they know where to look might stop her doing anything.

If you don't want to be around animals then don't move to a place where the laws allow for them. Move into a nice sanitary HOA nazi place and be happy in your sterile little existence. Just my two cents.

Quote:
Oh, I'm very sorry! I hope your chicks are okay.

Luckily they are ok! Thanks
smile.png
But they dumped their kids on me before, without even knowing who we were....and they were really lax about everything, they still are...BUT we made sure we stood our ground on them fixing the fence, they don't talk to us anymore but oh well, it was their fault.

I agree with most of the posts so far.

File a threat report, post signs,... She made a threat against you and your property, which in itself may be illegal. More than anything, you want everything documented. This includes the threats as well as what your property actually is. If she or her property (dog) cause you or your property (chicks) damage, she is liable. BUT you have to prove damages. Take a lot of pictures with time/date stamps of your birds (so you can show the size of your flock) and of their coop/run and property fencing including signs (so you can prove you did your due diligence/took appropriate care to protect your property).

Get their property off yours. In addition to the possibility of losing some of you're land, you're responsible for that property up to fair market value. If they find any “damage,” they may sue.

Print off multiple copies of the codes that relate to chickens, livestock, and protection. You may even include castle laws. FB isn't enough notice. When ever anyone says anything about your chickens, give them a copy of the codes, including police officers she may call. They may not know the local ordinances, but the print out proves you do.

Talk to the husband alone. Make sure he knows what's going on. He may have more luck dealing with her than you do. Let’s just hope she was having a really bad day.

Be polite/cordial with her but not overly friendly or aggressive. Don’t fuel the fire. She may view you giving her eggs not as a friendly gesture but as you flaunting your chickens in her face. What I’m suggesting is that you “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.”

**BTW, I'm not a lawyer. You may want to check out some legal forums for additional advice.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah I'm kinda with you on the mental disorder. That she would even think it was ok to say something like "I will send my dog over to kill it" to a neighbor sounds unhinged to me. That would be inappropriate to say to a stranger, let alone a neighbor who you have a relationship with! (i.e. pet sitting, favor to store things, etc.) I would definately consider having a friendly conversation with the husband. Say something like so your wife expressed some concerns about the chickens and potentially any roosters and she got a little upset/heated about it and see what he says. You just never know, maybe he might explain she had something else going on and it was misdirected anger or whatever or he might not... but it could give you a little more insight.

Good luck, and definately I'd document everything and certainly report it if she ever threatens you or your property again. I know where I grew up people were constantly calling the sheriff when a neighbor ticked them off to complain. DH had a whacked out nutjob once call the cops when he was about 16 and say he shot her! Obviously he didn't shoot her but the sheriff still came to the door to ask if he shot her. He said does she look like she's been shot? lol

Call the Sheriffs detective and explain the situation and see if the Dog threat falls
under the Terroristic Threatening statute.
That is really uncalled for. I would personally be on craigslist tonight looking for free or cheap
adult roosters. But that is just me too.
I'm an arse and know it about such things.
I would also inform the people that if they keep it that property line over there
next to them is the place for your new HOG pen next week.

You have a right to protect your property, livestock, etc from harm.
Just remember any right you don't stand up for you don't have.

We had a dog shot about a month ago, he was dumped here beautiful
Reddish Colored Retriever maybe 10 months old and loved everyone.
Didn't bother my chickens either, and dad took him (they live on the same 14 acres)
and then we heard shots one day and Red didn't come to supper, my kids found him.
He came home and died with a gun shot to the chest.

So I wouldn't advocate shotting their dog on those grounds, unless your a
GOOD shot and do it with a high powered rifle and drop them in the tracks.
So the kids don't see or find it.

Threats of Hog Pens, Salvage yards (we done that to when they was going to subdivide the 40 acres behind us, I still have 30 cars in the field from it hah) there is ways to get your point across and kill property values and get even.

Last edited:
Just saw this and dont have time to read all posts. But threaten me and I would go find about 10 roos just for them and keep lights on em for a few days
lau.gif

If my neighbor threatened to send their dog over to kill my chickens, I'd probably respond with something along the lines of, "Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to have my best hunting rifle ready for the occasion."
tongue.png
There's also, "Send him right over. My giant Austrian bear hound (yeah, I just made that up.
roll.png
) loves to make new friends!"

In all seriousness, though, I'd have the cops come have a nice chat with them and tell them that you're well within your rights to have chickens (roosters or hens), and there's not a dang thing they can do about it. A nice visit from the cops might do lot to help the lady reconsider her stance.

You could also buy an extreme dog hating rooster that would beat the snot out of their dog if they ever actually did send it over to your yard.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My roosters are mute compared to my peacock, he makes the most god-awful scream. I guess because it's mating season he screams even in the middle of the night and it gives me the creeps every time. There are worse things you can have besides a noisy roo.

I've got a feral hog pen with a boar and 5 sows that put roosters to shame. they see me comin to feed and scream bloody murder the whole time I'm out there until I toss em a couple of scoops of feed. I'm old school and would have told her the same as another post bring that dog on over and it won't make it back to your yard in one piece.

Last edited:
There is some good advice in all of these posts. I am sorry your neighbor is a bad apple. I hope everything works out whatever you decide to do to handle it.

My neighbors on both sides just told me 2 days ago , when they were over looking at my babies in the yard in their playpen, that if one is a rooster, I should keep it !
They said it would not bother them if it did crow every morning.
lol.png
We all live on 1/2 acre plots and our houses are 30 feet from each other. I love my neighbors. They
are all looking forward to eggs !

Back
Top Bottom