Neighbor threatening to "take out my roosters"

If I lived near there, I'd say invite me over for a few days as your 'boyfriend' (I'd bring a book or two to read, currently tryin' to get through Fahrenheit 451 but it's a difficult read compared to the movie, and I'd've split the cost of meals). I'm a *big*, ugly, stinky, biker (who happens to raise chickens and has been for 20+ years), and I *love* confrontational people who are nothing but tyrants and blowhards...after I'm through with them, they usually keep to themselves afterward and stop bothering folks. <BEG> heh heh heh

...but since I don't live anywhere near there, do like the others have said, let the law know about that jerk and his threats. Later, kick yourself in the butt and teach yourself to stand up to jerks like him! You're gonna get walked all over the rest of your days if you keep up the way it is now and I sure do hate to see people do that to themselves. I'm the kind who has always, since I was a little kid, stuck up for the 'little guy' or the one getting picked on or those who *can't* stick up for themselves well enough to make a difference even though they might have tried, etc, but it sure does get frustrating 'helping' when those you try to 'help' refuse to learn to at least *try* to help themselves, even if just a little bit one way or another.
lol! I would love to see you sitting by my garden sipping something cool and reading a book. I would love to see look on the neighbors face!!!

I am trying to be better at sticking up for myself. I feel like I have made great headway.

My advice is to have you phone or a video camera with you when you are in the garden and tape him standing there insulting you and then tell him if he doesn't stop you are going to to take your videos to the sheriff department and file a harrassement complaint against him. People who move from the city to the country have no clue they only know what they've read about and they are experts on "country living" because they've researched it. I live out in the country and this time of year it's anything but quiet there is always some type of farm equipment going up and down the road or farmers in the fields all around us if they want quiet go inside. I agree don't give him any eggs he wouldn't eat them or appreicate them but i would be tempted to throw them at him. He should act his age and stop being a bully

Oh my gosh! He thinks he still lives in The City! LMAO! Calling the Humane Society???!!! To pick up roosters???!!! You're right--let him do it. I would have had a hard time not laughing in his face. On second thought, if you can muster it up, laugh in his face the next time. He sounds like the kind of guy who would take a young woman's laughter at him like a spear in the gut!

I have to say up front that I haven't read all the pages of replies, but here are my thoughts. !st, this is a time when posturing and threatening will only escalate the issue. I would try to not interact with him if possible. I'd post 'No Hunting/ NoTrespassing' signs around your property, always a good idea. I'd also get the scarecrow sprayer (I heard about it on this site) http://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Water-Spraying-Animal-Repeller/dp/B0001A9TDS It will work on grown men, as well as cats. I'd also speak with your local police officers, maybe they could stop by sometime while he is outside. Seeing you give THEM eggs might make your neighbor think twice about the threats. Quietly speaking with the police will make them aware of the situation, I'm sure they would like this to go away without being involved. Good luck. I hope this all blows over for you, and you can enjoy your wonderful property and animal again soon!
Ann

Good for you in standing up and not crying in front of him. That's tough to do sometimes. :)

Lol - he really is a city boy, isn't he. In town there are usually ordinances about how tall weeds/grass can be, because you don't pasture in the city. They're goin to laugh at him for sure for complaining about the length of pasture grass. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that little conversation.

Good luck, and thanks for the update.

Ah, geez, it isn't the time of year for fruitcakes, is it? You sure had one delivered nextdoor!
lol.png

Man, oh, man, you have better control than I would have! He would have had quite a time trying to talk to me while I was rolling on my unmowed pasture ground laughing hysterically. Well, keep up the good work! I love to see a single woman of your age making her place in the world and standing her ground.

Perhaps you can reccommend a nice quiet retirement community in town. We have the same kind of issue in my area. I have family that has been farming in the same township for six generations and people complain that the animals smell or even the "poor kids" (my niece and nephew) that have to be raised on a farm. I married a child of a farmer and now have a hobby farm with chickens. When the fields get fertilyzed or the change of wind brings the smell of manure, I just remember what my father in law says. It's not the smell of poo, it's the smell of money. That's why the call it the country. Hopefully you can put up some security cameras and put up a few under survailance signs. Or get some peafowl. Or donkeys. Or invite the rest of the neighbors over some night for a loud, fun, hog roast and whoop it up loudly. Best wishes to you. Don't take this bull from your neighbor. Stand up for your rights. At very least, start mowing your lawn at 5am on weekends!

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I went through a similar situation about 8 years ago. Stay strong, and don't let him intimidate you, not one minute. I agree with documenting everything that happens and also with involving your local sherrifs dept.

Here are some fun ideas; (just fantasy ideas)
1. Now might be the time to invest in a few honeybee hives and place them between your neighbor and yourself.
2. Put up a sign in your front yard that says (Coming Soon ~ Hog Farm )
3. Plant shrubbery with a lot of thorns on your side of the property line.
4. Find a statue of a giant giraffe from an old put-put course and plant it near the property line.
5. Invite your neighbors over for a fun barnyard theme party, turn up the music, cook up some delicious burgers on the grill, and leave the intimidators out.
6. Find an old toilet, and place it out back. Within his view! Plant some flowers in it for his viewing pleasure. Paint a smiley face on the lid.

I dealt with my neighbor and his problems years ago, but in the meantime, it helped me to imagine crazy ways to tick him off. Karma finally stepped in, and he got what he deserved.

bun.gif

LOL! Love the fantasy suggestions. I actually did the toilet trick with my witch of a neighbor. Our basement had flooded and the previous homeowners had the basement finished so we had to gut it (including the basement bathroom). Everything was tossed into the yard until the dumpster arrived. But not everything fit in the dumpster and we couldn't afford another for a while so we had to slowly dispose of what remained with the weekly trash. In the meantime, she *insensitively* called the township, complaining about blight, so I stuck a hanging basket in the toilet bowl, well within her sight and stuck the sink in the ground by the drainpipe and filled it for the birds.
big_smile.png
The township came, didn't look around the back and said the yard was beautiful, waste of their time.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom