Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

as far as rodents, chickens will kill them suckers! my other half has them in his house, and if he catches one, he'll break their legs and throw them to the girls, and they all fight over the stupid mouse. their food is kept in a metal container so it is rodent proof. but being a wheat farming community, there are mice galore. as far as the girls attracting mice, they kill them as soon as they are spotted.

• Pet waste: chicken owners should be held to the same standards are dog owners. Chicken poop 1000 times a day. Manure sinks.The fact that someone said that chickens poop 1,000 times a day means they are making these supposed "facts" up. And people aren't walking chickens to poop, so the mess is noone else's problem

I'm still wondering about the 'manure sinks' she mentioned twice. The mind reels.

Quote:
Or cats.

edited to add: Ordinances should address the nuisance, not its cause. i.e., "Noise between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am shall be limited to X decibels as measured at the property line' between the hours of 6am and 9pm it shall be limited to Y decibels as measured at the property line" or "Noxious odors must be controlled and prevented; it is the responsibility of the resident to treat the cause of any odor so as not to impair any other residents' enjoyment of their property. Occasional, transitory noxious odors such as spread of fertilizer or chemical applications during home repair or lawn maintenance are allowed; continual noxious odor from any source is prohibited."

Now I am sure that someone could rephrase those better--I can certainly see loopholes in my later example--but the point is that a barking dog, a crowing or clucking chicken, a loud stereo, a revving dragster or construction sounds are equalling annoying to neighbors--one ordinance should be able to cover all these and other noise issues.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is a must! You get more flies with honey.

Most especially, it is vitally important to approach the authorities who make the decisions with patience and a calm, friendly demeanor. Speaking as a former animal control officer the government is not the enemy here. If you go in with guns blazing and all stops out, then you look worse than your opponent.

Congress gets this part of it right (well, most of the time!
lol.png
) They address each other as "my respected coleague" or "my respected opponent." "Opponent" is not the same as "enemy."
smile.png

Good luck with your campaign. And welcome to BYC!

Honey I would not be able to stop myself from sending out something like this... and bear in mind that I couldn't just leave all the DOCTOR'S typos... that's just pitiful that after more than 20 years of schooling that the moron still doesn't know the difference between a sore and to soar. You'd think Med School at least would have covered that.
roll.png

I am SUPPORTING the Residential Chickens with Facts and not the emotional side to this discussion. I am asking that the city of Brentwood change the current Municipal Code that prohibits chicken on lots less than 20,00 square feet in residential zones.

• Safety Concerns: coops attract rats, raccoons, coyotes, owls, hawks, and snakes into the backyards of the chicken owners so they won't be eating the neighbor's stinky, yowling, wandering, picky gland spraying cats or the cat chasing, 'present' leaving, fence hopping, flowerbed destroying dogs.

• Predators put everyone at risk of being seriously harmed, so keep them all in the chicken keeper's yards, or better yet lets just kill every owl, hawk, snake, raccoon, and coyote and while we're at it ugly critters like vultures too... they just poop everywhere and are a risk to us all. Then when the pest population explodes we'll just dump a million pounds of poisons to kill those off and life will be perfect... except that all our cats, dogs, water table, crops, etc will also be poisoned.

• Bad hygiene: foul odor in the winter, worse in the summer heat, abundance of flies in and out of our homes, that's why I think Cats and Dogs should be banned in houses smaller than 20,000 square feet.

• Noise Problems: Hens don't crow, the loudest they get is when they celebrate a job (egg) well done with an egg song, or when they cluck like mad because the neighbor has yet again let their dog run loose and he's yet again destroyed my fence, tresspassed, and is currently hunting (purely for the joy of killing) MY pet birds. If an obnoxious barking dog or yowling cats that yowl on the fence at 3am cannot be shot, then my SLEEPING chickens shouldn't be a concern.

• Pet waste: Dog and Cat Owners Should Be Held To The Same Standards As Chicken Owners. Keeping their animals contained for their own safety and for the safety, biosecurity, and FLAT OUT RIGHT NOT TO HAVE TO HERD, CLEAN UP AFTER OR OTHERWISE BE BOTHERED BY NEIGHBOR'S AT LARGE ANIMALS.

• Dog and Cat manure will pollute our water system affecting our drinking water with exposure to the rain run off polluting our drinking water with bacteria and excess nutrients. There are no standards of how to care or clean for the manure for residential owners. There are health implications with residential chickens in ill-equipped backyards, but making it a well equipped yard is very easy. Not so with dogs or cats. That is in addition to the unhealthy things a dog/cat can do to your neighbor's vegetable or flower gardens. You not cleaning your backyard can make my tomatoes toxic.

• Contagious Disease: Ignorance and Contagious Bigotry can spread through a neighborhood with frightening speed. Diseased minds may be carried on email and gossip. Panic caused by uninformed, biased people who claimed wisdom has, historically caused infinite damage so ALL information stated should be verified before just joining the herd and following off the cliff.

• Decrease of property value-eye soar and it sinks. Yup, with that free fertilizer those empty, dead, eyeSORE flowerbeds will decrease, thus increasing your home's curb appeal, and since you are composting and using natural fertilizer rather than chemicals you've less risk of burning your pretty green grass to oblivion.

• Homes built too close together to expect wildlife to live in a confined space. Sprawl has destroyed millions of animals homes, which is why there are possums, raccoons, etc haunting our backyards. If you want to see less animals' homes destroyed then stop building subdivisions and use the land already cleared! Chickens are capable of living comfortably in as little as 10 square feet, or in a 20,000 sf yard 1/2000 of the total yard space. Can your dog or cat be expected to live in that little space? And if so, do they produce anything useful? Their feces is not good for gardens, and their reproduction only contributes to the million or more animals that are put down due to irresponsible owners every year.

• Lack of common courteous for the neighbors and the neighborhood is why dogs and cats should be banned, or confined completely so they cannot tresspass or damage others' property.

• Animal Shelters unprepared to end up with chickens that are unwanted or have caused a family stress. But it is nothing compared to the millions of animals dumped in shelters or picked up by control every year so this point is negligible at best.

• The city can regulate the care and cleanliness of chickens the same way it does dogs or cats. If they are At Large, Tresspassing, etc. Then they can be called in, or taken in, to Animal Control. Just as with a barking or yowling dog/cat, loud noise can be reported and AC can investigate. Just like with dog/cat/NO Pet owners, if their yard is a mess/smelly it can be reported to code enforcement and they will investigate. Never fear that you won't be able to tattle on your neighbors.

• Code enforcement will need to check that owners are properly abiding by the law and maintaining a clean environment, just like they do for every dog, cat, parrot, hamster, and reptile owner in the county.

• What are the standards for cleaning chicken manure that will be implemented? Probably similar to the ones for dog, cat, reptile, rodent manure disposal. You are responsible for keeping your pets' home, and your home/yard clean and sanitary. If a neighbor feels that you are not they can call and report it.

• Who will educate the resident of the contagious disease and what the early symptoms are? Most OB/GYNs educate pregnant women on the risks of Toxoplasmosis. I imagine the same could be said of others. It would be lovely if doctors, or even grocers, were kind enough to notify consumers of the disease risk in the poultry they purchase at their local store. (site that recent report showing was it 1/2 or 2/3? of store bought chickens have one or MORE diseases that can harm humans)

• There is a place for agricultural and a place for residential. We pay a high premium to have the right to not live near farm animals and foul smell. Therefor we should ban gardening of any kind, especially vegetables and fruit, and ban all animals so that we can live in clean, sterile, germ free little cubicles. *douses self with bleach for third time today*

or... something to that effect... that's just off the top of my head...

Last edited:
Chicken manure will pollute our water system affecting our drinking water with exposure to the rain run off polluting our drinking water with bacteria and excess nutrients. There are no standards of how to care or clean for the manure for residential owners. There are health implications with residential chickens in ill-equipped backyards.

Don't wild birds poop where rain water can cause it to mix in with run off? They should address that and take appropriate measures to remove all wildlife form Brentwood. It is obviously not good for the environment.​

Chickens crowing at night?! Sounds like someone has a chicken vendetta with very little practical experience.

Pet waste: chicken owners should be held to the same standards are dog owners.

If that's the standard, then chicken owners should let it pile up for a couple of years until the neighbors make repeated calls to the county! LOL​

Back
Top Bottom