Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

That's not night out here
wink.png
Maybe in town.

Chickens that are raised on the ground eat the flies that are attracted to their manure. Mine are confined to a run so they are close to their poop. When the flies land on it my girls make a mad dash to eat the flies, they love them. Pretty efficient if you ask me.

I'll start with the first points and work my way down.

1 & 2. Chickens cannot attract animals that are not already there. Rats, hawks, owls, coyotes, raccoons etc. don't just suddenly spring up when chickens move into an area. Anyone feeding wild birds or outdoor pets has as much chance of attracting predators as does someone keeping chickens. I also cannot see how any of these creatures would endanger a human. I haven't heard of anyone getting attacked by a hawk, have you?
3. Clean coops for a small number of backyard birds are no more smelly than a dog or cat. Cleaning my cat box daily is worse than my 11 chickens.
4. Roosters crow, hens don't.
5. 1000 poops, utter nonsense
6. yadda yadda yadda
7. eye soar....oh chickens are ugly. Who says?
8. Wildlife, what wildlife? Chickens are domesticated and have been for thousands of years. Hell, Marco Polo wrote about silkies.
9. How do chickens demonstrate a lack of courtesy?
10. Animal shelters can deal
11. Cities write great regulations for this on a regular basis
12. What contagious diseases, who should be educated, and why?

But the bottom line is chickens will never bite a neighbors child, poop in a neighbors flower bed (toxoplasmosis anyone?), rip open trash bags, bark all night, threaten the meter readers, poop on the sidewalk or scent mark your neighbors house or car. I would guess that in your neighborhood you can find dogs and cats that do all of these things and they are allowed.

Don't you worry about fliers/emails that have that many words spelled wrong and out of context? If I lived there it would go straight into the trash bin...to be composted with the 1000 chicken craps per day....hahaha.

I'm about 20 mins from Brentwood and even have some extended family out there.

At first, I was thinking the letter would have lots of valid points because of the way it started "FACTS and not emotion" which often happens in these debates. Of course, I was then saddened by all the inaccurate "facts".

As I posted here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3426718#p3426718

I'd suggest getting neighbors of people with chickens that aren't bothered by them. Really show how proper care means little / no problems and that the neighbors are happy. Say you fully support going after those that improperly raise chickens.

Determine and if need be, validate the concerns of those that are upset and work toward resolutions.

Are the issues, "I just don't like chickens!!!!" or "Chickens smell" or "Chickens are loud!!"

We have chickens throughout Pleasant Hill and most people don't even know their neighbors have them because there are no roos and the chickens are kept properly.

BTW, first thing I want to do when people complain about chickens is ask politely:

1) Do you currently live next to someone with chickens so you can speak from real, objective, applicable experience?
2) If you DO currently live next to someone with chickens AND there are problems, what are they and will they be addressed by the ordinance we're promoting and the proper care of chickens?

I'd venture to say 96.465% of the time either they've never lived by chickens, or lived / live by someone who isn't following the proposed guidelines (too close to property line, too many birds in small area, roosters, etc.) and also isn't giving proper care.

IMO: There were some potentially valid concerns in that letter, but they were mired in inaccurate propaganda. For example: roosters shouldn't be allowed on these "smaller" lots. I think they push the envelope and cause more harm for the cause of raising BYC than they help in a backyard flock. That said, a handful of hens, even the "noisier" ones should be allowed anywhere dogs are allowed.

Quillgirl: That was a FANTASTIC letter and really covered the majority of concerns in a very unbiased (IMHO) manner. I think that letter will be helpful to many who are trying to get ordinances changed.​

I think the letter should be shown to the local Health Department for comment. After they have stopped laughing, they will set the record straight.

The city of San Jose, here to the southeast of you, has some very good model regulations for chickens. Six per household, no roosters, fully enclosed, setback guidelines, etc. You might want to use this as a model for guidelines in legalizing chickens in your area, especially since it applies equally to those parts of San Jose that have housefarms. And our animal control folks are perfectly fine with picking up loose chickens. I know because I've gotten two from them, that way.

The nighborhood watch, concerned about cat burglars, obviously is afraid it will spread and they'll have to contend with chicken gangs!

Thanks, NiftyChicken! I am happy to offer it to whomever needs it.... hopefully they can find it buried in this thread! Good luck to all chicken advocates!

Ever since I got my chickens I have had friends and family asking for chicken manure for thier composting, wanting to buy extra eggs and inviting themselves over when I have my first chicken bbq.

Ditto on everyones suggestions. I would stress the importance of sustainable living, composting/great nitrogen fertilizer, knowing where your food comes from (show pictures of factory chicken farms), less noise than dogs, kids 4-H projects and they are pets that make you breakfast how can you not want chickens?!?

Back
Top Bottom