Neighbors 5 roosters are constantly crowing... What should I do???

Well, if your neighbor won't or can't help you, I would suggest the soft spongy kind of ear plugs. The fan idea mentioned prevously works too, as does an air filter machine (hepa or similar). Get something that creates a steady, low background sound... Good luck...

I've heard that roos cannot crow if placed in a coop that has a very low roof, apparently if they can't raise up their head they can't crow.
But, if you neighbor is not cooping them up, perhaps they are waiting for a pred to eat them...sticky wicket in any event....hope your talk works out with them...good luck.
I stayed with a friend in NC for a while learning the craft of broom making, they had Guinea fowl that roosted right outside my bedroom window, the first night I just about came unglued from the constant noise and finally got a long stick, opened up the window and chased them off every night just so I could get some sleep.
Don't know if even earplugs would work but you might try that. We had roos for one season or less who constantly crowed and drove me nuts, we gave them away and finally got some sleep. We now have only hens.

Last edited:
Research the laws for your community or town. That's a good place to start. Then, be sure to mention the issue to your neighbor in a polite way. If they want to give you problems, hand them a copy of the ordinances.

ETA: You can get an extremely loud flock of territorial geese.
wink.png

Last edited:
You don't say how you get along with the neighbors, hopefully fairly well. By approaching them without accusation, even implied, and assuming they don't realize how close the roosters are to your house, maybe it will gain their cooperation best. Good humor can help a lot though might be in short supply if you are short of sleep though. It really is possible to stand up for yourself and still be friendly, an important thing to remember when dealing with neighbors.

Good luck with this, it can be hard to talk to people about things, but it's usually worth it.

So sorry your peace is being ruined by the neighbor's roosters.

This is one reason towns pass ordinances against chicken keeping.

Good luck.

I live in sacramento county and there is not an ordinance against how many chickens or roos you can have as long as your property is over 10,000SF. I am not willing to call the police due to the noise, yet. I have used a fan to muffle the noise but now it is starting to get too cold to keep a fan on. The ear plugs are a must. I am going to talk to them and see what their reason is for having so many roosters. We are neighborly but I know this will be a strained conversation as they can get hostile. I will just hope for the best. I'm even considering making rooster boxes and giving it to them, then they will have no excuses for laziness.
One night I was so mad I considered placing an ad on Craigslist for Free Roosters with their phone number attached.

I'm so glad I am a heavy sleeper. I had to put my Roo in the bathroom. I never heard him crow, but everyone else was up in the house.

I would just talk to the neighbor and see if they are willing to do something. I am sure they will.

Back
Top Bottom