Neighbors 5 roosters are constantly crowing... What should I do???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicks4life, Oct 10, 2009.

1. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Hey! That's your answer! It's brilliant!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I finally had to put my three roos in a covered pen. I sleep now.

3. The Zoo

The Zoo Songster

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Even if they are allowed to have roosters (we are in my area in CA too) it's a NOISE ORDINANCE issue. Roosters need to be kept 50 feet from your neighbors house. These guys sound like they're way too close and you are perfectly within your rights to complain.
    I'd complain to them about it and ask them to move them or coop them up at night and if they're not willing to do so you have every right to complain to the police/sheriff.
    Why should you have to adjust your life, sleep patterns, wear earplugs, etc. for an uncaring and inconsiderate neighbor?

You could start by saying 'I don't want to complain to the police because I know they'll make you get rid of the roosters and that's not my intent but I can't sleep at night because they're crowing outside my window and I cannot and will not continue to live that way'.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I can assure you that wouldn't work with me. I would consider that a threat. No need to ever ask me to look out for your house, when you are away, after a conversation like that. I would do the deed as diplomatically as possible.
    "Excuse me, but I need to talk to you about a little problem I am experiencing. (honesty) I am missing too much sleep. (obtain sympathy) I have tried buffering the noise, (you have gone above and beyond) but I still hear crowing at all hours of the day and night. (at this point be careful with your body language and facial expressions) Can we discuss how to darken your chicken's surroundings during the night hours? Or perhaps you can put all of them together and have a beauty contest with 5 contestants and the non-winners can be plucked and put in the freezer for later use. (you are not only worrying about yourself, but also considering your neighbor's needs) Only one rooster is needed for about 15 or more hens, depending on the breed. (you are sharing a common interest) Are you short on time or do you need more experience with slaughtering? (concern again and the possibility of assistance) I am sure that if we (you will help) can decrease the # of roosters in your coop, it will quiet things down for me and the other neighbors (you may not be the only one hearing the noise)and cost you less as well as improve fertility in your eggs, because if there are too many roosters, it is my experience that they fight instead of perform their intended purpose (professional)."
    Or you can just find a 3rd party that is willing to help you by presenting themself as a person that likes his/her meat fresh and "Excuse me, but I was told that you had a few roosters and if you have more than you need, can I buy your extras? I like to kill my own chicken, rather than buy them in the market." You might even consider doing this yourself to be done with it. Buy them or trade 2 hens for 4 roosters. One rooster will still crow, but it has to be an improvement.
    If communication is good, you can work on the dark coop later on.
    The police should be avoided, if at all possible. Call the police and you have an embarrassed neighbor that is mad at you and you might even have other neighbors making jokes about,"oh don't upset John; the police will come." Now if you kindly go to him/her and do everything diplomatically and you get a flower pot thrown at your head and your life threatned and your dog is mysterously killed and hung from your oak tree in the front yard, then by all means, call the police. I mean....we are chicken farmers; not trouble makers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree with the "noise ordinance". Surely there is one. I would research all avenues of information on this. Arming yourself with info and then tactfully approaching your neighbors. If that doesn't work and they are unreceptive.....do the Craigslist thingy.

6. LRG

LRG In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Lancaster county, PA
    [​IMG] I feel your pain -- we have 4 banty roos next door that crow all day long. It can get pretty bad sometimes. Just gave away our EE roo because he was picking up their bad habits and starting to crow all of the time. I like all of my neighbors (except for the banty owners) and wanted to stay on good terms with them. (No sense in having people start hating all backyard chicken keepers just because of a few irresponsible owners.)

I can't help but wonder if your neighbors are causing other problems that would make you post here first rather than talk to them. I know, because it is pointless to talk to my neighbors about their banty roos. My neighbors are rude on so many levels and already have a dog that barks all night, a goat that has been naying nonstop for the last 5 years, and a brood of disrespectful and destructive children. Their flock of banties free-range the neighborhood and at least one hen went broody and now there are 20+ chicks over there. Figuring at least half are roos, well, I'm expecting another 10 to be added to the singing chorus. My border collie does a good job of keeping them from settling down in my yard.

If I called the police around here I am sure they would probably laugh -- not even sure that we have a noise ordinance. Craigslist sounds good, but do you really want to do that to the poor people who call the number only to find out it is a hoax? Your best bet might be an owl or other predator. Sorry I can only offer sympathy. Good luck!

7. redstars

redstars Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    I would tell them how much you admire their roosters.
    Then ask them if they would consider selling them to you for 10 bucks each.
    Problem solved for 50 bucks!
    Then stop by the market and pick up some fixens to go with your new roos
    and you have supper for a week and peace and quiet!

8. chicks4life

chicks4life In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I have thought of offering to pay for the roosters but I am 100% sure they would acquire another roo and the problem would start all over again. This originally started with one rooster and a few females.. They may only have 8-10 hens so I'd say those roos are crowing for Females. I feel sorry for their hens.

9. chicks4life

chicks4life In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I am working up the nerve to talk to them. I am thinking LRG is living next to my neighbors, unkept yard/house with a menagerie of various pets. I can only try with a polite conversation and see where it goes from there. I do not like to get the police involved unless I have no other options. I thought I loved chickens, now I have to rephrase that and say I love hens.

10. redstars

redstars Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Get a peacock. My neighbour had one that thing was loud. All day and night.
    Notice I said Had. Hum, I wonder where that thing went?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: