Neighbors and Chickens

I'm not a fan of the 'drop in' visit.. even if it's people I know. So.. here's how I'd handle this <disclaimer: this does not work on mil, so don't even try
he.gif
>:

Next time they come tromping through your yard have an excuse ready, "I'm sorry guys we were up all night/have the flu/hate you and can't have company right now." Then stand in their way. When they commiserate, agree that things are horrible. If you like them, maybe give them your phone# so they could call first next time. If not, just arrange that EVERY time they come over, you have some crisis and they need to leave.

I used this one last night, although I wasn't trying to be rude. We HAD been up all night. Dh's friend showed up, and dh was in bed. A month ago our old neighbors (now moved) showed up just as we were all starting to recover with the flu. I met her at the door and said sorry.. bad timing. She WAS stopping by EVERY DAY for a while. I like them, but am a bit of a hermit and value my privacy. She hasn't stopped over since (which is too bad, since I do LIKE them.. ah well). Now if anyone could suggest a way to get rid of unannounce mil visits, too.. well, I'm be happier 'n a pig in a pile of poop.

-Meghan

man you are all too polite. I would go over and meet them as they are crossing into your property and (out of earshot of the kids) tell the adults that this is private property and in the interest of ongoing friendly relations between neighbours if they dont get off your property now and forever unless expressly invited that you will call the police.

Alternatively if you have the kahunas you could wait until you see them coming and run outside naked and declare to them that you and your husband and all your friends are joining the nudist movement and will be naked in the yard from this point on, maybe they wont want to see that , maybe they will LOL

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am eager to show DH. While most of us here agree they are rude, there is still a fine line, because they are my neighbors (across the road) and we still have to see them almost every day. I don't want to be enemies, and I need to figure out a tactful way to get it through to them that they aren't welcome to come over whenever they feel like it. (I hate confrontations like this!!) These visits probably started out with DH saying, "glad you enjoy the chickens...come on over any time to see them...". These neighbors just don't get it though, because you would think they would know better than to come over any time they need to entertain the grandkids, no matter what we might be doing. I don't know why they feel like they have the right to do this, and drag a wagon through our yard too. I don't have any other neighbors who are like this...all other neighbors ask permission to come into the yard. DH was being polite, but I would think most people would understand that it is rude to just "pop in". They have even seen us eating, reading, minding our own business when they come over! I truly hope that moving the coop will help because they will have to come further into the yard to see them and they might think twice about it. You all have given me some GREAT ideas and also some backup to show my DH that it isn't just me who thinks they are being rude. (and I have already considered terrielacy's idea....that would certainly put a fun twist on things!!!!)

Ok, you definately have to nip this in the bud.
The thing is ": little old ladies can be a pain in the "*&>"
They can be so conniving, its like they think they can get away with all sorts of things, and they get worse each year!
Im sure i will grow into one later on!
Get out the back and sunbathe in a gstring.
Put a lock on the gate, with warning dangerous dog sign.
Put a big mud puddle inside the gate. The kids will love it and grandma will have to wash them.
Get some big geese or turkeys.
Put an electric fence warning sign up and pretend you have one, then give her your phone number and tell her to ph you first before she comes so you can disarm it.
Hang some dead cats from the trees. roadkill! the kids will never want to come back!
But the best thing is a good strong locked gate.
It may cost 2 hundred or less but you will have your privacy back, which is very precious.
Good luck

Would you rather have a neighbor you calls you fata$$ across your backyard and threatens to kill all your chickens??? If it was possible I would trade you for these horrible people and send you mine in return. I'll pay the shipping.
Shame on everybody who thinks they are rude, they just don't realize you would like some privacy in your backyard.
All you have to do is ask them to please call and, if you are having diner, then tell them to wait for an hour.
Its great that they want to show their grandchildren a real live chicken ( which alot of kids don't see these days) and its a chance to encourage young people to respect and care for animals. It used to be that more people farmed then lived in towns and cities but not anymore. My Bubba has had a gazillion kids on his back and for some it was the first time they had seen and touched a horse.
I don't care if I piss off people. After spending about 300 bucks on fencing to kept out the jerk neighbors dogs I'm in no mood to read the whining about the good people you have across the road. My neighbor is looking forward to watching one of his dogs tear apart one or several of my chickens.
I'm now putting up that fencing with the help of another neighbor who comes into my backyard uninvited all the time!! Thank you Chickflick!! You're the best! Worth yer weight in gold but I'm broke so go in the house and get a snickers bar!!
To Terri the Duck Lady, sorry for the rant, it just felt real good and I understand if this gets locked.

Back
Top Bottom