Neighbors and Chickens

mdbucks, my boys love this idea! They are always looking for a way to make a few bucks! These neighbors in particular are cheap (they never donate to school fundraisers)...so this should take care of my little problem!

How did this lady even start coming over in the first place? Is there some reason why she thinks she has permission to come over? It just shocks me to think that the lady could just up and decide she owns the your whole backyard. I would ask your DH if he ever told her anything that would make her think she is welcome.

We've definitely had some unexpected visitors to our coop also. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It kind of depends on who it is. I don't mind sharing my chickens but I also value my privacy.

The worst was some guy who tramped through three backyards to see them. I didn't know him and my kids were playing in the backyard. I was mad but my dog took it personally. I called her off before she took a chunk out of him, but she did scare the snot out of him.

If only people would ASK FIRST!

That is one of the rudest things-inviting yourself into someone's back yard. Not only that, if a grandchild get hurt on your property, they can SUE your homeowner's insurance, then of course, your homeowner's will drop you like a hot potato.
My back yard is my "Private Idaho". If I accept a visit, its at the front door. My neighbor sees me in my backyard and every time he does, he waves and wants to chat, however, he only speaks Spanish, even tho he's been here for years, and I was muddling thru my 8th grade Spanish, but now refuse to be an enabler. He can see me on the patio right up to the patio door. It's awful. This year we are planting fast growing hedges, and putting privacy panels on one side of the patio. I work 12 hour nights, and spend alot of time on the patio in my pajamas. I really don't want to chat every time he sees me. On top of that, he always "needs" something. Now, I just say I don't understand what he wants. He sure knows the english word for what he wants!
I would absolutely put a stop to this "visiting". Next thing is that the grandchildren will be visiting without grandma, maybe when you're not home. Put a lock on the gate. It's your house, you don't owe anyone an explanation for locking up your property. Karen

Next time you hear the gate rattling, call your hubby and let the neighbors catch you in a compromising situation on your back patio.
lau.gif

I'm gonna be the contrarian here.

1-Your neighbors are being more ignorant than rude.
2-I suspect you are a friendly person who is proud of her birds. They
may think you are complimented by them showing such an interest in
your chickens.
3-A potential misconception of chicken owners is that we are all
rednecks who love it when our neighbors stop by, especially if they
bring a banjo.

Do your best to be patient. Good neighbors are hard to find.

Don

You could always dole out some cash for a cute little fence boarder thing about a foot high all around your yard to show a "line" of some sort they might have to cross to view your birds. Maybe a clean and simple white wire fence that's 3 feet high all the way around. Then they would feel more like they are trespassing.

If my neighbors came into my backyard unanounced they may find us naked in the hot tub!
big_smile.png
Backyards to me are an extensoin of your own private living spaces, not for anyone to barge into.

If my neighbors did what yours are doing, I’d be indignant; they wouldn't do it twice without permission.

Last edited:
They are being very rude......and if you dont want it to be on 'YOU' for saying go away.....i think you should make a quarentine sign and tell them that they are being treated for a type of bird issue that may or may not effect humans and that you will have to ask that they not be visiting the chickens........... You can make your own version of that, but if you make up something like that, it wont be on you. Good Luck. We have a lock on our fence......only ones to pass it are chippies, bunnies and a baby woodchuck. The happy visitors
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom