Neighbors complain...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scootermom, Jan 19, 2009.

1. scootermom

scootermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I had 2 banty hens that became extremely noisy, and I had to give them away. They crowed like roosters at all times, even 4 in the morning! To be honest, I might have wanted to get rid of them myself! I have a half acre back yard and want to get more chickens for egg production, not meat. Which breeds are quiet and lay well? They will have the run of the yard and a secure house at night, and I would like to have freindlier ones that won't chase my kids (the way the banties sometimes did).

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG]

My buff orpington is fairly quiet & since this ?'s been asked before it seems to be the consensus, others will hopefully confirm....

3. I like my RIRs they are great chicks and lay real pretty brown eggs. and by the way:welcome I would only get hens my roo is really a BIG bird and crows until I want to cook him marrie

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think it all depends on the hen's personality. when we had our red and black stars they were so loud! even if they werent laying an egg. I used to run outside and start yelling at them! My EE was loud when she would lay but after we got rid of the the two sex-links she is very quiet. I guess they were seeing who was the loudest lol.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Buff orpington chickens may be quiet, but HOLY COW is my buff orpington duck the loudest darn thing EVER!!!

I swear, she is in love with the sound of her own quack.

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have not noticed any of our brown-gold-red-black sexlinks to be noisy. Our neighbors on either side of us have roosters and those are noisy but we are in the county and livestock noise is eggspected.

Its to bad that you just cant get rid of your neighbors.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers are very friendly and pretty quiet.

8. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    My EEs and Barred rock are quiet.. but my AuLorp is LOUD. I also think a chickens tendency to chatter loudly has to do with who else is loud... one of my EEs is very vocal and I thought she was noisy until I had to remove the AuLorp for a few days.. then they all got so quiet it was like they weren't even back there! [​IMG]

9. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I had a barred rock that sounded like a dying monkey every morning, I think she was trying to be the roo.. We finally got rid of her because our nieghbor was complaining.

10. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Out of the different varieties that we have our Buff Orpingtons and EE are the quietest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by