Neighbor's dog continually tries to enter our yard.

HipEMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
California- Bay Area
A few weeks ago, the neighbor's husky/wolf broke down the six foot fence between our property, broke into our coop and mauled four of my ladies (a did a good amount of damage to my English bulldog who tried to defend her ladies). I called animal control and the neighbors were fined. The neighbor's were initially very responsive and took responsibility. They fixed the fence, paid for the coop, paid my vet bill and paid for my chickens. With my bill, I wrote a letter thanking them for their cooperation and explaining that I felt that the dog should not be left unattended in the yard (I also have four small children).

Well yesterday, I was walking along the back fence and wouldn't you know it- there were two holes dug out under the fence each about a foot wide. Clearly, the dog is attempting to re-enter the yard. I spoke with my neighbor over the fence. I reminded him that this is why I felt that the dog shouldn't be unsupervised in the yard. His response was "You can't tell me what to do with my dog" He threw some rocks in the holes and walked inside.

So what now? Animal control warned me that this dog would be relentless in trying to re-enter the yard. I am, of course, worried about my birds but more so about my kids. What recourse do I have? I'm not going to wait until that dog gets back in my yard. Ugh. Help. Thanks.

I would make another report!!!! And is there any sort of trap you can set up on your side fo the fence where the dog has been digging? Can you call animal control again and ask them what next steps you can take?

If it were in my area, I would shoot it the next time I saw it in my yard. The laws in New Hampshire are very different from the laws in California, though, so I wouldn't advocate that response unless you know for sure it is legal. In the small, rural town I live in, the law specifically states that it is your responsibility to keep all domesticated animals under control at all times. If they are on someone elses property they are "at large" and can be put down if they cause any damages.

Furthermore, if the neighbor then complained that I had shot it, I would say to him...

"You can't control what I do on my property."

Just for the sake of irony.

I have a roughly similar problem resolved with electric fencing. I own physical fence making is possible to also place a single strand of hotwire at nose height for troublesome dogs. When dogs get near fence they get zapped. They quickly learn to avoid fence all together.

I would call animal control again and make another complaint.

A strange dog on your property is a predator - no matter how large or small the dog - and it is completely irresponsible of the owner to make sure this has been taken care of - especially since his dog already HAS attacked animals in YOUR yard.

Most places consider a dog out of his yard at large and it is not acceptable.

The above suggestion (about hotwire) is great as long as you don't intend to free range them. I have 20+ birds that I am starting to free range on an acre. It may sound harsh, but I'm not going to take any chances with potential predators myself.

Last edited:
The above suggestion (about hotwire) is great as long as you don't intend to free range them. I have 20+ birds that I am starting to free range on an acre. It may sound harsh, but I'm not going to take any chances with potential predators myself.
I free-range birds with hotwire. No problems for birds or my dogs.

HipEMama: Keep us posted on how you handled this situation. I just noticed you live in the Bay Area-curious where abouts? I spent 18 yrs in the Bay Area (East Oakland Hills, Hayward, Castro Valley, San Leandro)

HipEMama: Keep us posted on how you handled this situation. I just noticed you live in the Bay Area-curious where abouts? I spent 18 yrs in the Bay Area (East Oakland Hills, Hayward, Castro Valley, San Leandro)

We are in Sunnyvale. I am hoping to work this out with the neighbor. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom