Neighbor's dog killed our chickens today!!

jbokhart

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Well totally bummed out!! Our neighbor from across the street dog killed all 5 of our chickens tonite. Usually we have them in a fence, but had been free ranging them, as we just moved and had not gotten a fence up yet bc of frozen ground. Don't know if I should go across the road and say anything or not. Don't want to make an enemy of the new neighbor's. Though I have seen their dog in our front yard before....I did not know they belonged to them. :( Bad day I guess

Well totally bummed out!! Our neighbor from across the street dog killed all 5 of our chickens tonite. Usually we have them in a fence, but had been free ranging them, as we just moved and had not gotten a fence up yet bc of frozen ground. Don't know if I should go across the road and say anything or not. Don't want to make an enemy of the new neighbor's. Though I have seen their dog in our front yard before....I did not know they belonged to them. :( Bad day I guess

Of course you should go talk to your neighbor. Are you sure it was that neighbor's dog?

If it was his dog, he should buy you some chickens.

The neighbor's right next to us saw him running back across the road and there were feather's everywhere. He followed the path of feathers from the drive and found our rooster, and the rest of the hens scattered but dead. Looks like it was the run and catch to kill for fun!!

My back neighbors evil Chihuahua killed one of my pullets today… the funny thing about it was that they had a large pit-bull and the pit-bull didn’t even bother the pullet when it went to its territory. It was just that evil Chihuahua!

The neighbor's right next to us saw him running back across the road and there were feather's everywhere. He followed the path of feathers from the drive and found our rooster, and the rest of the hens scattered but dead. Looks like it was the run and catch to kill for fun!!

We live in a tiny town with maybe 50 house so we know who comes from where...I have had the same problem..and I go SPEAK to the neighbors everytime a dog kills my chickens...I know which dogs they are and so do they especially when they take the evidence with them...!
barnie.gif

The last time this happened I informed them that if the dog got into my pen 1 more time and ate anymore of my chickens they would owe me $10 per chicken and $300 per peacock! They did not like the proposal, but did offer to pay for the 2 chickens he had gotten that time..I told him that this was his last warning because I have already visited them once...and that if I saw his dog on my property attempting to get in my pen he would have 1 less dog to feed...and they would owe me for what he ate....needless to say they got rid of the dog! I don't think they liked the thought of paying $300 per peacock, I have 6..that would have hurt their pocketbook alil'
wink.png

u should definately say something. stand up for what was yours...

Well just notified the husband and he is MAD and that's an understatement!! He is on the warpath so to speak. I convinced him to let me at least talk to him and not go rant over there!!

Bottom line...they need to confine their dog. A dog should not free roam. Chickens free ranging are not doing any harm. If the chickens were off your property it may be another story, but there ARE dog leash laws. If the dogs came over to your proerty and harassed your chickens and killed them, the neighbors need to reimburse you for the value of the chickens (IMO $10 is too low but that's so your call) and they need to keep their dogs confined.

I'm so sorry this happened.

Back
Top Bottom