Nervous Goats

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
I bought 4 Angora goats, 3 wethers and a doe. Picked them up this afternoon and brought them home. They are still adjusting, obviously, but I'm getting nervous because they're not eating or drinking. I have hay both outside and inside their small barn, water both outside and inside. I just went out to feed, drizzled a little molasses on their grain for a calorie boost and a treat. One wether nibbled a bit but only ate about a few mouthfuls. Any hints for helping them settle in? I've told the girls to keep away for now (they have a tendency to be loud), dog barked a few times, some loud music can be heard from the campground across the river, so I know the noises may be contributing. It's also rainy and windy and cold. They've spent most of the afternoon in the barn. Again, they haven't eaten or drank anything since arriving. So what can I do to help make them feel more at home? Thanks

Are they eating any hay? Definitely important for them to be eating their roughage. If they're eating hay and ignoring grain, then I wouldn't worry. Is it the same grain the were eating before, or different? They are probably sipping on the water, might not be enough to notice it gone, yet.

I already posted to BYH

Same grain, previous owners gave me the bag. They gots the goats as part of a package deal with a flock of sheep. They just wanted the sheep and decided to sell the goats. The Angoras are about 4-5 yrs old. Hay is 1st cutting.

I went out about an hour ago to take trash out and saw them nibbling on hay and brush outside. One was licking the mineral block, so they are eating some hay and brush (cedar and poplar branches) at least.

Back
Top Bottom