Nest box question?

smitty750

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bethel
I have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 black australorps that will be 16 weeks old tomorrow, they haven't started laying yet not sure if thats normal or not?? I have 6 other pullets that will be 14 weeks old tomorrow, RIR, BR and a blue copper maran none of them are laying either. My main question is she should I allow them into the nest boxes? I've had them blocked off so that they wouldn't sleep in them etc. Did I mess up by not allowing them acces to the nest boxes? Is that why they haven't started laying yet? I also have a RIR rooster could he be the issue?

It is entirely "normal" that none of your birds are laying just yet - at 14-16 weeks of age they are still young. In general, most will start laying somewhere between 18 and 28 weeks. As you have had the nest boxes blocked off, it is most likely you have instilled a pretty firm "roost to sleep" habit in your birds. I would go ahead and unblock he nests and just keep an eye on them - if they do start trying to sleep in the boxes, just physically move them back onto the roost each night.

Thank you. I figured they were still too young but just wanted to make sure I wasn't prolonging it by covering the nest boxes. I'll uncover them this weekend.

It is entirely "normal" that none of your birds are laying just yet - at 14-16 weeks of age they are still young.  In general, most will start laying somewhere between 18 and 28 weeks.  As you have had the nest boxes blocked off, it is most likely you have instilled a pretty firm "roost to sleep" habit in your birds.  I would go ahead and unblock he nests and just keep an eye on them - if they do start trying to sleep in the boxes, just physically move them back onto the roost each night.

X2

Thank you. I figured they were still too young but just wanted to make sure I wasn't prolonging it by covering the nest boxes. I'll uncover them this weekend.

Honestly, I don't think that you would prolong the wait anyways. My understanding is when they're ready, they're ready! With a covered nest box, I think the worst that would happen is finding an egg on the floor of the coop.
smile.png

Good luck with your girls! Mine are 21 weeks and show every sign of being ready to lay, but no eggs yet. And I think time slowed down after 19 weeks....it feels like forever!!!

Honestly, I don't think that you would prolong the wait anyways. My understanding is when they're ready, they're ready! With a covered nest box, I think the worst that would happen is finding an egg on the floor of the coop.
smile.png

Good luck with your girls! Mine are 21 weeks and show every sign of being ready to lay, but no eggs yet. And I think time slowed down after 19 weeks....it feels like forever!!!

Yep - it's strictly biological, they will lay and if there is not a nest box available they will lay on the floor, in the run, under a building, behind a door - anywhere that is available and suits them. I've seen birds drop eggs standing at the waterer, etc - this year there was even a hen who popped an egg out into the rather surprised hand/arm of a 4-H exhibitor while they were in the show ring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom