Nest boxes

Hmm guess I should've included photos too.

coop2.jpg

So each compartment is 14.5" cubed though the back rises to 24" tall since this box is inside the coop and the slope keeps them from sitting on top. Top is hinged, I added a latch later on so the top can be latched open for cleaning. Box sits about 3" off the floor on legs made of scrap wood, front lip is fairly low, about 2". My bedding is about 3-4" of wood chips so this makes it easy for the hens to step in and out.

If you wanted to add curtains they could be stapled to the inside of the lid.

Mine aren't laying yet, so I don't know how they'll do... but I bought an old, broken two-drawer shallow-depth dresser, nice heavy wood, at a garage sale for $3, removed the top drawer and sectioned the bottom drawer into two long nests. I do plan on adding curtains, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I use the top to store the bag of pine shaving bedding on, to discourage perching on it. As hot as it is during the summer here, I wanted something a bit more 'airy' inside to reduce heat buildup, but I still wanted a solid top.

I also have a three-drawer $10 Walmart storage rack, that I spray-painted the drawers black on the outside (they were clear), and cut out the back of each drawer. It's perfectly sized for the smaller bantams, from the looks of it. Again, all of mine are too young to be laying yet.

Originally I planned on making a nice two-level nesting box with large boxes on the bottom and small boxes on the top... or vice versa... and then I priced building materials around here - one lumber store, absurdly overpriced, three to four hour drive to the nearest Lowes/Home Depot...

And I improvised.

Last edited:
Husband made our nesting boxes. We have two sets with nine boxes each. The easter eggers NEVER will lay where there is already an egg, although the red stars do. The girls lay in most of them, usually the 2nd and 3rd levels. Boxes are 12 x 12 with a lip in the front. I like to use straw as the girls like to "arrange" it and it works better for that than wood shavings. Also I find that the wood shavings sometimes stick to the bloom when the egg is laid. I have never used fake eggs and we do not use curtains. My last flock did lay a couple of eggs in the run before learning to lay in the nests, but my current flock went right to the nesting boxes! Good luck with your girls!

nest box small 2.jpg nest boxes small.jpg

:wee

Do they ever sleep in the higher nests?
No, they don't get in the boxes except to lay eggs. We have a very tall coop and have roosts at 3, 5, 6 & 7 feet. They love the 6 & 7 foot roosts and mostly use those. I only had a problem with Elmer thinking a nest box was a great place to sleep, but he finally grew out of it! ;)

roosts small.jpg

No, they don't get in the boxes except to lay eggs. We have a very tall coop and have roosts at 3, 5, 6 & 7 feet. They love the 6 & 7 foot roosts and mostly use those. I only had a problem with Elmer thinking a nest box was a great place to sleep, but he finally grew out of it! ;)

View attachment 1440122
Ah, well, :lol: rafters work as roosts 'higher than the nests',
except for those that don't have them or need to access birds off roosts for exams.

I use dish pans for ease of cleaning.

If using dish pans it is critical to put anti tip boards.

upload_2018-4-19_13-45-28.jpeg

My girls don't need curtains either.

Height in the back is 32" . The lower boxes are 14 wide x16 deep x14 tall. The upper nests have a ton more head room with that slanted top.

What would be good dimensions for a silkie chicken nest box? Due to their smaller size. Would 8x8x8 still be an okay size?

Back
Top Bottom