featheredmumma

Hatching
Sep 2, 2020
Hi all,

Im new to hatching duck eggs - I have 4 runners and this year has been the first we managed to get our drakes (brothers who had to go together).
Back Story;
They’re free reign animals and only locked in the coup (with the chickens) at night, so they’ve our whole backyard to forage in. The ducks have never been broody previously, however in the last few weeks have been laying eggs outside the coup when they normally would lay in a single box inside out of preference of many. originally we found a nest in our decorative rocks next to our patio which we were collecting the eggs from - as we’ve always done like when laid in the box. We then thought they’d stopped laying (due to season anyway) however my husband and children found a new nest in the pea gravel inside my children’s Plastic playhouse that’s unused and was going to be turfed on our nest cleanup (outside, but next to the coup). No bedding, just a burrow in the rocks. Fast forward - seems atleast 3, if not all, the ducks are now laying in this one nest. I’ve been marking with the date each day to keep track, we’re up to roughly 10 eggs today - I’m wanting to know, will one, or multiple go broody?
We put some straw in there and made a little nest for some padding, but they’ve moved it all out the way and put all the eggs back directly in the rocks 🤷🏽‍♀️
shall I put some wood shavings under them?
our yard is secure, but at this stage as none are broody through the day, they don’t get an option to sit at night - should I give them an opportunity to sit at night?. Was hoping, once I saw some signs I’d leave the cage open (we’ve a secure yard anyway) so they could sit in peace and id section off the playhouse for the broody hen? I don’t want to disturb the nest again and make them move. Usually they take themselves to bed and we just close the cage door, so it’s not like they’re ‘forced’ to bed.
Incubator is also not an option, as I’ve already a full bator as we were collecting previously.
any ideas or help, greatly appreciated 👍🏽

If your runner ducks are not a mix it is quite likely they will not brood as they have been developed to just lay eggs much like a number of chicken breeds. You can leave the eggs and see if they will brood, but if you want ducklings you'd best have a backup plan; possibly another incubator or getting some bantams to use as broodies. Duck eggs will hatch under a broody chicken.

While ducks and chickens will share a nest and hatch babies, it is best to have only one broody to a nest. Often eggs and chicks/ducklings are destroyed and lost when the hens compete to have all for themselves.

While ducks and chickens will share a nest and hatch babies, it is best to have only one broody to a nest. Often eggs and chicks/ducklings are destroyed and lost when the hens compete to have all for themselves.
If your runner ducks are not a mix it is quite likely they will not brood as they have been developed to just lay eggs much like a number of chicken breeds. You can leave the eggs and see if they will brood, but if you want ducklings you'd best have a backup plan; possibly another incubator or getting some bantams to use as broodies. Duck eggs will hatch under a broody chicken.

i have two Runner x pekin (as far as I am aware)with 2 pure runner males and females. I do actually believe it is one of my crosses who keeps making the nest.
I have already got an incubator full of eggs, but as they kept nesting and moving around, I thought I’d give them the best chance to try, I’ll otherwise collect them up. Unfortunately none of my chooks are broody and they’re extremely skittish (how they were when I bought them) and now they’re in a bigger yard, they are worse, so I’m unable to even try and get one of them to sit on them. I’ll see how things go in the next few days.
Is it likely that once the total eggs reach a number of say 12, that if she is going to sit, she will, even if they aren’t all her eggs? I think this is my concern regarding nest sharing and competing and also that they aren’t all her eggs, so will she brood them anyway or reject them.
I’ll separate her if she does this to give her the space and let nature take its course I guess
thanks for your help!

i have two Runner x pekin (as far as I am aware)with 2 pure runner males and females. I do actually believe it is one of my crosses who keeps making the nest.Pekin are not known to be broody type ducks either, but sometimes crosses have the instinct to do what the pure breeds won't do.
I have already got an incubator full of eggs, but as they kept nesting and moving around, I thought I’d give them the best chance to try, I’ll otherwise collect them up. Unfortunately none of my chooks are broody and they’re extremely skittish (how they were when I bought them) and now they’re in a bigger yard, they are worse, so I’m unable to even try and get one of them to sit on them. I’ll see how things go in the next few days.
Is it likely that once the total eggs reach a number of say 12, that if she is going to sit, she will, even if they aren’t all her eggs? Birds have a fairly set amount of eggs they lay before going broody and with ducks it can be anywhere between 8 and 16 eggs. So, regardless of nest sharing, the hen will lay her full clutch of eggs. I'd recommend that you mark the eggs as to when they were laid and then start removing the older eggs once there is approximately 12 eggs in the nest. I think this is my concern regarding nest sharing and competing and also that they aren’t all her eggs, so will she brood them anyway or reject them.Most birds will accept and brood anything that remotely looks like an egg; white rocks, light bulbs, tennis balls, etc. I am quite sure the hen will accept other ducks' eggs.
I’ll separate her if she does this to give her the space and let nature take its course I guessYes. You will have better luck if you block the nest from the other ducks once brooding starts.
thanks for your help!
You are welcome and good luck! At this time I am waiting for my young Call duck hen to start laying. She is the only hen duck I have and I worry something will happen to her before I get some ducklings. There doesn't seem to be anyone else with Calls in my area so I'm getting anxious.

The mail has gotten very unreliable so getting anything shipped is beyond risky.
Good luck to me too.

Amazing information- Thankyou ever so much!!
yes, same situation with us and any drakes, we were very lucky to find one 5 hrs away that my family were able to transport home for us - Goodluck to you too, I hope you manage some babies very soon!!

Back
Top Bottom