Nesting box Ideas or instructions?

Quote:
I wanted to thank you for posting such clear and easy to follow pictures of your exterior nest boxes. My husband will be starting my new coop in about 3 weeks and I want exterior nest boxes this time. He has built regular nest boxes in the past and hung them inside the coop, but this time we are doing a raised coop and won't have as much floor space as our previous coop. Having external nest boxes will allow me to have more room for their roosts and give them more unobstructed floor space. The problem is that my husband is not very handy. While he has built a couple coops and a shed in the past, they aren't exactly up to building code if you get my drift. He cannot visualize anything. He has to see it laid out step by step. Your pictures will enable me to guide him or maybe even get brave and do it myself. Thank you for posting them. You have just made my life easier and I will avoid several arguments with my husband. He hates building things and the stress of a project with him is unbelievable. These pictures will help so much. Thank you.

I love the storage bin idea. I am going to use this idea.
big_smile.png

Been struggling tring to figure out what to use for the boxes. I wanted plastic for easy cleaning, and removal.

Thanks.

I'm using hooded cat litter boxes and my girls took to them right away when they started laying, no training needed other than golf balls.

I had one already, then got a couple more off craigslist for free or $5 each. Put them on a shelf about 18" off the ground. I plan to put another shelf on top of them with a few milk crates for extra nests. They're a perfect size, plastic which is easy to clean, and the girls like the privacy of the hoods.

I came across a site on the web where they were selling plain white hooded litter boxes that they were calling nest boxes, which is how I got the idea. They wanted $15-20 each, plus shipping of course.

I saw someone on here that uses cardboard boxes, like beer case boxes, etc., then when they get too dirty/used, just recycles and uses new ones! How easy is that?!

I use nesting pads in my boxes - I got them from a catalog, but you could make your own out of one of those green, plastic, front'door mats that look like grass. Cut it to fit the floor of your box. I find this very clean, the eggs are always very clean, and the chickens don't mind the rough plastic at all. I clean them every now and then with bleach water, and rinse. And I find the hens like the nest better if there's a bit more privacy. Maybe a vinyl hanging curtain in the front, with slits in it.

Back
Top Bottom