Nesting box size

You might try vinyl upholstery fabric. As JT states, give it the safety test: Any thing they can pick apart, they will. If you use standard fabric (and that might not be a bad idea b/c it will breathe in the heat of summer, be sure to fold under and stitch the edges so there are no loose edges.

I've had Brahmas and other larger birds, 14 x 14 x 16" high works fine.
The perch on this nest bank was first a 2x2, the brahmas had a hard time walking on it so I swapped it to a 2x4 which really helped.
full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/nests.7427682/
is your boxes 14" wide x 14" deep x and 16" high
or 14w - 16d -14h

I have a community nest box that is 36" wide 17" tall and I forget how deep and they all use it sometimes 3 at a time are in there. I have 9 RIR pullets and watching them on camera they seem to like the new roll out nest box much better than the smaller box I had before. I want to get 2 Cinnamon Queens in the spring.
View attachment 1245851 View attachment 1245852
JT
Is there any reason for the red curtain? Every manufacturer, and you! are using red. And I LOVE your red boxes, by the way. Is your setup rollaway, or does the outside door just let you pick eggs out of the nest directly? Thanks!!

Is there any reason for the red curtain? Every manufacturer, and you! are using red. And I LOVE your red boxes, by the way. Is your setup rollaway, or does the outside door just let you pick eggs out of the nest directly? Thanks!!

It's a roll out nest box, no nests at all just some of that white foam like you see tv's packed in and a carpet runner on top of the foam just stapled down to the false floor.

Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 plans

I did add a second curtain to the back so the hens could not see the eggs when they looked through the first curtain as I had a few that wanted to pull the eggs back. Since adding the second curtain the hens could not see the eggs so they stopped looking for them.

JT

Back
Top Bottom